Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janron4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Number not transported over to new supplier, want to transfer to BT

Go to solution

Hi

I am 79 years old and just swapped from Utility Warehouse to Now.  They did not port my existing number, (even though I requested it), which I have had for 55 years or more, at the same address for all that time.  Another number went live at my address on the 21st December 2018.

Neither the new supplier or old supplier can now help me get my original number back and I am so upset.  I am still within my cooling off period with Now and I have informed them that I will not be carrying on with them and that I wish to open an account with BT.

When my account is set up with BT, is anyone able to help me to try and get my old number back to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Number not transported over to new supplier, want to transfer to BT

Go to solution

This was a similar recent post and don't hold out much hope if lost between utility and now

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Retrieving-my-old-landline-number-Help/m-p/1897252

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

This is a BT Retail forum. BT Retail do not own any numbers apart from those which are assigned to individual telephone exchanges.

Who were you with before Utility Warehouse? Have you ever had a number from BT, and if you have, are you still living at the same address?

The only way this forum may be able to help, is if you were originally with BT Retail, as BT Retail would own the number, which is why it cannot be ported out again.

If not, then there is nothing that can be done, and you would need to take up the issue with Utility Warehouse, and Now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Janron4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi. 

I was originally with BT for many years and this is the company that originally gave me the number 55 years ago.

I would like to return to BT in the hope that they can sort this issue out for me and get me back to having my original number.  I know that there is no guarantee of this happening for me but I want to give it a shot, given that there seems to be no chance at all with Now.

I can only hope?

Regards

Janet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@Janron4 wrote:

Hi. 

I was originally with BT for many years and this is the company that originally gave me the number 55 years ago.

I would like to return to BT in the hope that they can sort this issue out for me and get me back to having my original number.  I know that there is no guarantee of this happening for me but I want to give it a shot, given that there seems to be no chance at all with Now.

I can only hope?

Regards

Janet

Provided you are living at the exact same address that you were 55 years ago, then your number will exist on the local exchange that you were connected to, it would simply be marked as unavailable as it had been ported out to another provider.

Porting out works fine to the first provider, but if you attempt to port it again, it will fail, as your existing provider does not actually own the number, as it belongs to BT Retail, and will revert back to them, which is why you could not port it to Now.

Technically there is no reason why you should not be able to get your original BT Retail number back, if you move back to BT Retail.

Initially you would have to accept a new number from BT Retail, and then request a renumber back to your own number.

Can you confirm that you are still living at exactly the same address as you were, when you first got your number from BT?

0 Ratings
Janron4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the optimistic reply.  Yes I can confirm that I am still at the same address that I have lived at for over 55 years.

I am in the process of applying online to BT as I type this message.

Kind regards

Janet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@Janron4 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the optimistic reply.  Yes I can confirm that I am still at the same address that I have lived at for over 55 years.

I am in the process of applying online to BT as I type this message.

Kind regards

Janet

When your new BT line has been activated, if you would like to post back here, one of the BT moderators should be able to help you get your original number back, as that may be the easiest way to progress it, as one of them can take ownership of your case.

0 Ratings
Janron4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you.  I have had confirmation that the going-live date will be the 11th January.  I will then re-post on this forum as you suggested.

Kind regards

Janet

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Janron4 wrote:

Thank you.  I have had confirmation that the going-live date will be the 11th January.  I will then re-post on this forum as you suggested.

Kind regards

Janet

Hopefully it can be sorted. BT Retail never guarantee you will get you number back, as they would be unaware of the exchange number range until an order is processed.

The number BT give you when you place your order, should be in the same range as your original number.

Individual exchange ranges depend on the size of the local exchange, and how many remote concentrators it has, but its normally thousands of numbers.

0 Ratings
Janron4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Keith

As per the previous messages and responses, now that my account has gone live and I am up and running with BT, can my situation please now be progressed to a BT moderator to try to get my original phone number back to me.

All your communications has been very much appreciated.

Thank you

Kind regards

Janet

0 Ratings