cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gillianw74
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Number porting

After moving to bt on the 11th Dec I have had nothing but problems. Firstly the engineer left my house with chunks taken from the outside walls. But not only that I tried on numerous occasions to get my old number ported, but they can't do this because it's on a different exchange even though the number is theirs. Spent hours on the phone and in the end decided to go back to virgin for the landline and my old number. Virgin have requested the number and been denied but also because the number has been disconnected they are unable to port it back. Back on the phone again between bt and virgin to be told that the number is bt's and it is spare but virgin can't have it. So they are trying again to port the number over which I have been told is unlikely. At the end of my tether and it seems there are people out there who have had the same problems, let me know if any of you have managed to get your old number back? Or at least had some resolution.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Number porting

Numbers can only be ported if on the same exchange they cannot be moved to other exchanges
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Is the number you want a BT number (ported to VM at some point in the past) , and you are at the same address that BT served with that number in the past ?, if that's the case then obviously you should be able to have what you want, but if you have moved address, and the number is no longer appropriate for the exchange the 'new' address is served from, then you cannot have that number, but would have to accept a number from that exchange's  number range.

if the address has never changed , and the number was originally BT, why was the installer knocking lumps out of your walls and not using the original BT feed that delivered service in the past ?

Number port is really a mechanism to move a number between providers, rather that allowing you to move and keep the same number regardless of the address...if you move and you use BT or a company the uses their infrastructure , then provided both the old and new address are served from the same exchange , then keeping the number shouldn't be a problem, 

0 Ratings
Gillianw74
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I did move in 2002 and the number came with me when I was with Virgin,the problem I gave new thoughts BTwon't give it back to them when they have requested it , all they have to do is activate the number which they have declined to do.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@Gillianw74 wrote:
After moving to bt on the 11th Dec I have had nothing but problems. Firstly the engineer left my house with chunks taken from the outside walls. But not only that I tried on numerous occasions to get my old number ported, but they can't do this because it's on a different exchange even though the number is theirs. Spent hours on the phone and in the end decided to go back to virgin for the landline and my old number. Virgin have requested the number and been denied but also because the number has been disconnected they are unable to port it back. Back on the phone again between bt and virgin to be told that the number is bt's and it is spare but virgin can't have it. So they are trying again to port the number over which I have been told is unlikely. At the end of my tether and it seems there are people out there who have had the same problems, let me know if any of you have managed to get your old number back? Or at least had some resolution.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

There are a variety of issues here from your post. You should have been told if you can move your existing number when being transferred to BT, and is exchange relevant as has been explained. If a number is made spare due to a port cease - it might well have gone into a state such that it has been blocked for allocation for a period of time.

Can you say what the first 7 digits of your number was ? (e.g. 01abc de) - if you don't want to put it on these public forums, then send me a private message with the details and I'll see if I can find out what exchange the number belongs to.

0 Ratings
Gillianw74
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Hiya thanks for coming back to me the first 7 numbers are 0151260. Many thanks. Gill
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@Gillianw74 wrote:
Hiya thanks for coming back to me the first 7 numbers are 0151260. Many thanks. Gill

Hi again.

That number range exists on one of the Liverpool BT exchanges serving Anfield. I can't recall exactly, but I believe that some non BT exchanges have different numbering schemes, and hence serve different areas - possibly overlapping multiple BT exchanges. At the time of your move, it is possible that Virgin themselves did something internally to switch calls to you to enable this to happen. I'm really not sure if that was ever done, or if has since been stopped if it was done.

Of course, when moving back to BT, if your address is not in the serving area for BT relevant to the number range you've quoted - then you will not be able to have it.

If you have close neighbours, you might be able to ask them for their numbers to see what sort of range they are on, and hence the exchange.

You can check by entering a number here :-

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

I'm surprised when you ordered BT, that you weren't asked to keep your number - and why there was an

engineer at your property. Did you have cable from Virgin?

If you cancelled Virgin service, then tried to get your old number to BT at a later stage, then this would indeed be a huge problem and typically not really be allowed.

0 Ratings
Gillianw74
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for looking at this for me. I didn't get asked about keeping the number and I didn't think it was a problem when I changed because it is a bt number originally. The engineer was here to install the phone line for the phone and Internet and made a hash of the job. Really sorry I went to BT now huge waste of time and effort. Thank you again I appreciate your help.
Gill
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

the chances are that you could have had the same issues if you had moved to another supplier other than BT.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Gillianw74
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

That's true but it would have been nice to be told that I may not be able to keep the number.
0 Ratings