Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Number shows on handset but can't be added to Call Protect

Go to solution

I received an unwanted call today. It was someone with a foreign accent, and clearly calling from a call centre, asking me if my call barring service was still screening out unwanted sales calls. He claimed to be from the "telephone marketing preference service" or some such organisation, which meant nothing to me. I didn't trust him and hung up.

The number showed up on my handset as 06370-552868. I dialled 1572 to add it to my personal blacklist, but the system said it couldn't be added because it was "unrecognised". I don't understand how a number which displays as a normal selection of digits can possibly be unrecognised and therefore impossible to blacklist.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Number shows on handset but can't be added to Call Protect

Go to solution

@mrbutt89wrote:

I received an unwanted call today. It was someone with a foreign accent, and clearly calling from a call centre, asking me if my call barring service was still screening out unwanted sales calls. He claimed to be from the "telephone marketing preference service" or some such organisation, which meant nothing to me. I didn't trust him and hung up.

The number showed up on my handset as 06370-552868. I dialled 1572 to add it to my personal blacklist, but the system said it couldn't be added because it was "unrecognised". I don't understand how a number which displays as a normal selection of digits can possibly be unrecognised and therefore impossible to blacklist.

That's interesting.

Clearly it's a spoofed number, and looks to be one that can't be dialled. It's possible that this is the case, the exchange tries to dial the number (internally) - probably a few digits until it reaches a potential routing, and if that fails the number can't exist.

I've just added it via MyBT - maybe that's the route to take with these odd numbers, though frankly the scammers will move onto another number making it pointless to add

0 Ratings
mrbutt89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Number shows on handset but can't be added to Call Protect

Go to solution
Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess you're right. I'm told these people can spoof all sorts of numbers. It just seemed doubly irritating that it was supposedly from an organisation that works to cut down on unwanted calls!
0 Ratings