Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ian1covkid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Old Master Socket - NTE 5 conversion Extension wiring guarantee

Hi,

I had an old master socket (Not NTE5) and extension socket in the bedroom go intermittently noisy.

Reported to BT and they couldn't find the fault and just changed the master socket to an NTE5.

Line still intermittently noisy so use the test socket to confirm the noise is back towards the exchange.

Report again to BT and the same engineer comes out and finds no noise. The engineer then tests the wiring to the bedroom extension and says it test low insulation and leaves. Later I get a £199 charge for a fault on my own wiring. Very sneaky.

I used to be an engineer and in my day if the above scenario happened we had to leave a guarantee card for the extension wiring covering faults for 12 months. So my question is:- 

Does anyone know if this still applies?   

I'm also going to raise a complaint as the fault was subsequently fixed by an engineer in the green cabinet.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Old Master Socket - NTE 5 conversion Extension wiring guarantee

Openreach's responsibility ends at the test socket extension wiring is the end users responsibility
0 Ratings
ian1covkid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks John but you haven't answered my question about the wiring guarantee. How can the wiring be supported by bt one day then my responsibility the next is there no longer a 12 month guarantee?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Was the cable from the nte to the extension completely replaced?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Your post doesn't make much sense. Are you saying the first engineer couldn't find a fault and just replaced the LJU1 with an NTE5a and then reconnected your extension wiring?

If so that is correct, on a site visit the engineer is supposed to replace any out dated wiring/equipment upto and including the NTE. Not anything past that.

Replacing the LJU for an NTE5a does not put your own internal wiring under any sort of warranty.

I'm surprised the first engineer didn't test the extension wiring, I would have personally as I would have always looked for the simplist thing first.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

if the extension wiring was not replaced then the wiring is no longer guaranteed and its replacement is your responsibility and that is why a charge was made
0 Ratings