cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deedee11
Message 1 of 5

Old phone socket

phone socket.jpg  

Just moved into a house & have one of these in the hallway. Outside the house is a grey BT junction box, from the juction box one wire goes externally around the house upto a bedroom & is terminated with a with a more modern box that accepts a plug in type phone. The other wire from the junction box goes to this old phone socket. Wire from the old phone socket then runs under the carpet, along the skirting into the lounge again terminating in a more modern plug in extension type box.

What I would like to know is if I can replace what is pictured above with a modern flush type face plate?

Not actually going to use it as I want to remove the extension wire from the lounge but it's got to look better than that pictured & the coil of approx 2 metres of extension wire sitting below it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Old phone socket

is outside box like this  external_NTE_1.png

if so that is your master socket and internal sockets are you resposibility so up to you if you change it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Deedee11
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately not, it looks like this:-

IMG_4905.JPGHowever on closer inspection, the cable coming out of this at low level & going around the house upto the bedroom seems to be terminated in a split BT box, which I assume is my Master socket. As I therefore have a master socket in the house, can I change the old GPO phone socket to one accepting a plug in phone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Anything after the master is an extension socket so home owner responsibility so you can change it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Hi. if both cables radiate from the box outside (it is actually only a cover plate, wires are normally just crimped inside) you are more than likely "starred wired" which is no longer used as all wiring now should radiate off the main socket (Linebox/NTE) so could be a problem re-configuring you wiring setup.

The other "socket" you have inside once again is only a cover plate, you could replace this as it is the same size as a single gang mains socket or light switch so just pop along to an electrical supplier and purchase a blankng plate of your own colour chosing.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings