Did you mean: 
Highlighted
itsjamielike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

One Line Feeding Two Houses

Go to solution

Hello, 
I currently live in a row of terraced houses, Each house is fed its own line from a metal telegraph pole (Out the back across a lane and in to another road). Checking the line for our house it appears we have one line coming down, a Junction box, and then it seperates to my house and next doors. (we are in the middle of the row of 30+ houses). 

I am not sure what this is, if someone could explain, It also causes me concern as although I have no BT services currently I am due to move back to BT in the next 3 weeks but I have a dial tone.

This box also appears to be old, with old cables and it was open before I looked at it causing weather to easily go in, I am concerned as I am also wanting the best speeds (Moving from 350MB to 80MB), But I am also wanting to upgrade to G.fast in the coming weeks/month once all settled. 

I have my activation date coming up next month, but unsure if OR are coming out or if it's a turn on at the exchange.. I expect the latter. 

20190620_162106-min.jpg20190620_162119-min.jpg

IT Tech for 9 years in the Private and Public Sector, recently giving it up for a totally different career change.
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
itsjamielike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: One Line Feeding Two Houses

Go to solution

I take back some comments, 

around 4-6 Months ago I connected a landline and had a dial tone. Today I have connected, no tone, and any numbers I type are incredibly quiet even on speaker phone. 

IT Tech for 9 years in the Private and Public Sector, recently giving it up for a totally different career change.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Some dropwires have 2 pairs , so 2 lines can be delivered over it, if the dropwire goes to a central point where it is split with 1 pair going to address A and 1 pair going to address B , that’s acceptable, obviously should the dropwire from the hollow pole to the splitting point be damaged then 2 services could be lost, but obviously done this way there is only 1 dropwire from the pole rather than 2 in line of route ,
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@itsjamielike  All perfectly normal and no cause for concern.