cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

One week on and still no phone or broadband!

Reported fault #VOL053-xxxxxxxxx on 10th July but we're still waiting for our landline to be fixed. Have been paying for services we are not getting for a week now. Can I claim money back from BT?

I reported that the phone was not working at all and broadband was very intermittent so an OpenReach engineer called last Wednesday but we had to deny him access to where the telephone line enters the house as this was in my wife's daughters bedroom and she was in bed after a night shift and we didn't want to disturb her. 

Tried to arrange a new appointment on-line for Saturday but the system wasn't working so had to call the BT call centre. It took a while but in the end, I thought that the Indian guy I spoke to understood what I wanted but clearly he hadn't because the engineer who arrived on Saturday afternoon was from TalkTalk, not OpenReach. He simply did what I had already done - plugged a phone into the master socket and confirmed the line was dead! He then raised a case with OpenReach on his computer, telling us that OpenReach would respond within 72 hours. The time is up now and still no sign of OpenReach.

Is there a way I can escalate  this with BT without going through their call centre as that would be a complete waste of my time?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
DeanJI
Message 2 of 9

Re: One week on and still no phone or broadband!

Hi,

For claiming the money back you can either claim through the Billing department and raise a dispute with them as to having no service. Usually they honour this. New processes for the faults team to usually do this too.

For the complaint the best way to do this is call up.  Try calling the faults on 0800 111 4567 and mention to you want to raise a complaint with them. Usually makes it go smoother. If you get offshore try asking for a UK team and they might put you through.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Would one if the Mods kindly pick up on this issue as I am getting nowhere with BT and feel like I'm getting the runaround.

BT are now texting me, telling me that an "engineer visit to the premises is required" and that I should do some checks first. This has all been done. An engineer came on Saturday, and just like the engineer who came last Wednesday, confirmed that our landline is dead by plugging his test phone into our master socket. The engineer who came on Saturday used his computer to pass the case on to OpenReach, telling me they should respond within 72 hours. The only response I have had are a couple of text messages culminating in the one I have just described that they sent me at 17:39 yesterday.

I shouldn't have to book another engineer visit. I don't need another engineer visit. The problem is not in our house. I strongly suspect the problem lies in the area of the distribution (telegraph) pole that OpenReach replaced in June just as we went on holiday - I doubt that our phone has worked since that day but as we were away, I have no way of knowing that for sure. I just know it wasn't working when we came back and it was fine up until the moment the pole was replaced.

I have a fault reference number if that will be of any use to any Mod who would like to take this case up for me.

0 Ratings
Squash
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

You're best contacting the faults team directly on 0800 111 4567 and letting them know that you're unhappy with the way this case is being handled. That way, you can raise a complaint and make sure BT are taking ownership of your issue. This is the best way to log ongoing faults and to build a good case for compensation when everything has been fixed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

from your initial post are you a TT customer and not bt broadband?

there is no link from this customer help customer forum to openreach anymore than there is from TT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

No, I'm a BT customer. I've no idea why the engineer BT sent out said he was from TT (unless he works for all the phone companies and got confused as to which one he was working for that day!)

Would you believe, BT have just text me again telling me yet again to check the BT master socket. I'm getting sick of the number of times I have told them I have already done this and and that the engineer who BT sent out on Saturday did so too. The engineer even reported the fact that our phone line is dead to OpenReach yet still BT are telling me to check the master socket. What's the point of texting me if they're not going to read the replies.

Their incompetance is simply staggering!

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Is the faults team (on  0800 111 4567) based in the UK or will I end up speaking to somebody in India  who won't understand anything I am trying to tell them!

0 Ratings
Albourneboy
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Just spoken to the faults team who told me that they have this logged as a major fault and that it is with OpenReach who estimate that it will be fixed withing the next 24 to 48 hours. Considering I reported the fault on the 10th July, this is not very good and so far, we've not seen hide nor hair nor heard anything at all from anyone from OpenReach. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

‘No, I'm a BT customer. I've no idea why the engineer BT sent out said he was from TT (unless he works for all the phone companies and got confused as to which one he was working for that day!)‘

He wasn’t an Engineer, he would’ve been from a Company called Qube Communications. Basically an over rated Socket Jockey. All they can do is prove if the faults inside or out but to be honest they can’t even do that. I’ve followed many about and the faults been the complete opposite of what they said it was!

Best one I ever had was one went to a customers house complaining that his Broadband wasn’t working. He’d just moved in and his Router was plugged into an Extension Socket in his boy cave. The Qube guy plugged in the cheap Multimeter he’d bought from Maplins into the NTE, saw it had 50v DC and concluded it wasn’t working as there was a 50v Battery Contact on the line. I went out a few days later and informed the customer his Broadband wasn’t and wouldn’t work on the Extension Socket because there was no cable connecting it to the NTE. Oh and I confirmed that the 50v was right to be there!

That’s their level of stupid but phone Companies insist on using them as apparently it saves them money.
0 Ratings