cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Ongoing fault (2 months and getting nowhere!)

Go to solution

As the subject suggests I've had an issue for 2 months now. 

I have an fairly intermittent noisy line that also affects my broadband badly. It's pot luck as to whether a phone call is okay due to the noise and most of the time a phone call means the broadband will drop.  When the BB reconnects its is generally slow 30-35mbps down and somestimes as low as 512kbps up. I can usually reconnect later whan the noise abates and get 35mbps down and about 5mbps up.  This is usually sat at 41/6.9mbps.  The BB now drops each nigh and possibly once or twic e during the day.

This all started adn the end of April 2018.  Since then we have had 2 engineers visit our home to find no faults, and at least a couple of engineers working on the line/cabinet/exchange itself.  The last of these was about 3 weeks ago and the line/BB improved for about 5 days before the noisy line returned.

I've opened (and had closed without resolution!) 13 faults, lost track of how many hours I've spent talking to an advisor (usually in a foreign call centre!) and am still no nearer to actually getting this issue resolved. I either get the usual tests right from the beginning or get promised a call back from BT's dedicated (hmm!) complaints team. Usually they ring once, I miss this as I am at work or not near phone and they then give up and call it a day. I then have to ring up and start again.

After 2 months I am no nearer to getting the issue resolved and have lost all faith in BT's ability to do anything except pass me from pillar to post without actually doing anything.  All the while I am paying good money after bad for a lacklustre service on all counts.

Rant over. Can anyone suggest my best course of action? 

Is there any department at BT that I can get in touch with that will do anything?

Is it worth escalating this to someone like Ofcom? Would this help?

I've read stories of this kind of issue going on for years and want to move this on slightly quicker than that!

Any advice would be appreciated. . . . while I still have hair left!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ongoing fault (2 months and getting nowhere!)

Go to solution

@Majorbugout I'm so sorry the noisy line fault hasn't been sorted, they can be quite tricky to resolve but it shouldn't take this long. If you use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@Majorbugout I am just off the phone with Mrs Majorbugout Smiley Happy

I'm glad the noise on the line appears to have been resolved, following yesterday's engineer visit. I know this problem is intermittent so please post back if the noise returns and we'll get this investigated further.

Thanks

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Stephanie

Thank you for all your help with this, you definitely deserve much kudos and possibly a pay rise! 

The phone seems clearer and the broadband seems more stable. The engineer was not very confident that this was a permenant fix but we shall see.  At least the issue was looked properly which was all I really wanted 2 months ago!

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Well it's 3-4 months and the connection has not caused too many issues.  There has been noise at tmes and the connection has stayed up for about 10 days at a time.  However, for the last week or so it has just about returned to the unstable connection and noisy line it was when I first raised the issue. During this time the connection connected at great than 35mbps.  Okay but it could be better!

In last day or two the connection has dropped a lot and the phone line has been very noisy.  I've made a quick recording and uploaded to dropbox here . . .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8wc5core6a4o2e/LineNoise.mp3?dl=0

Personally I don't think this is really a standard of line that should be left unfixed or that I should really be paying for until it is.  It's obviously a wiring issue, surely somebody at BT must have the ability to diagnose and fix this once and for all??

Nick

0 Ratings