cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dantestorms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Openreach botched my phoneline.

I recently had an Openreach engineer in to install a second phoneline to allow me to bring my BT package over as the original line was already taken up by my neighbour's ISP.

When they came in they installed a cable coming out of the original lines master socket they assured me that they are installing a completely new line. A day later everything seemed to be going well aside from the lack of a dial tone on the second line both me and my Neighbour were able to recieve broadband from our individual ISPs.

On the third day however, everytime I turned my hub on my neighbours hub lost all connection to the internet and mine followed suit, so I kept mine off to allow my neighbour to continue to use her internet. I contacted BT about the issue and they told me it was a problem with the cables outside the property and that an engineer would be round to fix the problem.

He told me that there was a damaged cable that needed to be replaced and that judging by the sound of the original issue I complained about rather than installing a new line the original engineer had just installed an extention to the old one as my neigbours line now comes up with my phonenumber.

Once he left my neighbour and I had found that neither of us could now connect to the internet at all. Of course my neighbour is blaming me for this whole issue and it is causing me great stress and is disrupting my work.

I rang BT up and explained the further issue and they are telling me it could take up to 10 days to sort out.

I am now worried that Openreach have inadvertently taken over my neighbours line with mine. However if this is the case I am confused as to how we were both able to connect to our individual ISPs.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Openreach botched my phoneline.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

I wonder if you could clarify a couple of things...a second phone line ?, original taken by a neighbours ISP ?, how can your first line have a neighbours broadband on it ?, or is your 'new' line your only line, just happens to be in a location close to your nieghbours existing line, are these locations standard, like separate houses or flats or rooms in a multi tenancy property ?
They came and installed a new line from the existing master socket ?, the socket is the network termination point, the end of the line not the start of it, how can they put a new line 'in' at what I presume is your neighbours master socket, presumably at your neighbours 'address' for you ?..you can have a master socket with two lines (it will have two places to plug a telephone or broadband filter in) one for each 'line' but obviously both lines would be located in the same room, let alone the same address..perhaps you can give a little more detail as your set up seems a little out of the ordinary
0 Ratings
dantestorms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

The easy way to explain my living situation would be liking it to a bedsit. There was a line at the address already but the girl who lives across the hall has already claimed it for her service.

As for the master socket I was only telling you what they told me, they said that there was a spare line going into the master socket in case we wanted a second line.

0 Ratings