cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orange_fifi
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Openreach exorbitant survey charge

Hi - due to my home extention, which interferes with my neighbours landline (which attaches to my property), I have recently had the experience of contacting Openreach regarding the relocation of this line.

The current cost of the SURVEY ONLY is £298.  That is ridiculous.  How can that be justified? And I have no other option. I can't go elsewhere.  It's not even my phoneline.  And I don't have a price for the relocation yet which I imagine will also be vastly overpriced.

Any advice or just grin and bare it?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Openreach exorbitant survey charge

as the line is owned by openreach there is nothing more you can do  there is no access from this community forum to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

The OR price for an external shift is £92.07 + vat, I suspect whoever you have spoken to has not picked the correct product from what is available ( it is an unusual request ) so has said a survey is required, and quoted the 'survey' price.....if all you need is the existing overhead feed from the telegraph pole to your neighbour's house taken down and reprovided to a new location , then it's an 'external shift' , there may be a difference in price between what OR charge the Telco  and what the Telcos price is to you or your neighbour , for arranging it, paying OR then billing their customer....if it's your neighbour's line, they may need to arrange it with whoever their phone provider is , the charge going onto their phone account, if the shift of the line is for your benefit then presumably you will settle this extra bill for them

LittleHelper
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Tell OR you want their equipment removing from you land not relocated. Surely they can't charge you for that and they will have to foot the bill to reprovide it themselves as they can't just cut your neighbour off.
0 Ratings
orange_fifi
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

They have said it's there legally and I can't tell them the to remove it. I would have had to object when it was originally done. Probably 50 years ago
0 Ratings
orange_fifi
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I'll ring them tomorrow and challenge the price suggesting that they may have selected the wrong product....
0 Ratings
LittleHelper
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Ahh thats annoying then 😕

If they are going to have to install a new pole then the price seems about right to be honest. Have they given any indication what work will actually be needed?
0 Ratings
orange_fifi
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

No new pole. Simply moving cable.

*update* a friendly competent local engineer did it for £85 today in 20mins

I cancelled the survey..
0 Ratings