cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Openreach planning an alternative route - why?

Hi,

I am buying a house and when I viewed it a few weeks ago it had a working phone line and BT internet.

I rang BT yesterday to arrange taking over the line. The order went through OK but the operator said there was a problem with the line and it would need an engineer visit. He couldn't give me any details but did say it was a "Gold Key" address.

I've checked the order progress this morning and there is a warning note on it saying:

Planning an alternative route - Openreach is trying to find a new way to connect your property to the local telephone exchange. They can't use the original route, this may be due to damage to the local network.

Any idea why this might be? There was a perfectly good working line a few weeks ago so why would it now need an alternative route?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Openreach planning an alternative route - why?

Welcome to this user forum.

Only Openreach would know the answer to that, as this is just a BT Retail forum. Cable damage or cable theft, or recovery of old lead cables to make space for fibre, are some possibilities.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Bobmoss

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that your order has been delayed.   A Gold Key is returned when an address is known within the network address data base (NAD), and indicates an address which is or has been historically served by Openreach or has a pre-designed association to the Openreach network.

When we are placing orders, we want to see a Gold NAD key.  The message you're seeing when you check your order progress contradicts the above though so I'm not entirely sure what is happening to be completely honest.

Can you send us over your details so that we can take a closer look at this for you?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Bobmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks @RobbieMac, details sent.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

If you are in effect taking over the existing service, AFAIK, the current occupant is contacted saying 'another company has applied to takeover the line, if this is incorrect contact us to stop it happening' ..do you know if the current occupant received this letter/ email and if they did, did they ignore it or did they contact their provider to stop the takeover happening ? As the BT Mod has said , a gold address is what you want , it means everything matches up and service shouldn't be an issue, I wonder if somehow your order has been taken as an order for a 2nd line into the property rather than disconnecting the current user and reconnecting you in their place....It may be worth ( if possible) contacting the seller and asking them to confirm if BT are their provider,( although it shouldn't matter who their provider is unless it's Virgin, ) have given notice to their provider , and have they had any correspondence from them regarding the takeover of the line by you.
0 Ratings
Bobmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hi @iniltous thanks for your comments. However it's definately nothing to do with the current occupent reply to the letter as the "issue" was on the system when I was ordering the line over the phone and then the comments about needing an alternative route appeared on the order tracking within an hour of placing the order!

I've already spoken to the previous occupants and it was definately a BT line with BT Broadband.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Bobmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

@RobbieMacDid you get the details I sent through yesterday? Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@Bobmoss

Under ideal conditions, the moderators can normally deal within 48 hours, but they are running a bit behind at the moment as they are only a small team based in the UK. They will however take full ownership until any issues are resolved. They are a very good team.

You should have received an enquiry number.

0 Ratings
Bobmoss
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Keith_Beddoe, thanks, I appreciate how hard the mods work here. Yes, I got an equiry number so I'll sit tight!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Bobmoss,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your contact number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you. I'll need to follow up with Openreach tomorrow and as soon as I have any information, I'll get back in touch.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings