cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Iaincmet
Message 1 of 3

Openreach scam call (saying on behalf of BT)

I am a new customer to BT and have only been signed up a week or so, this afternoon I gets a call on my Ex Directory landline saying that it had been noticed that my broadband speed was troublesome and they were from Openreach.

Line was bad so gave them my mobile (I know bad idea but wasn't sure if genuine or not due to bad call).

So when they called back they were ever so professional and was telling me to start looking at the various services that were running on my PC from startup under msconfig, I could see where it was going as I am a PC Technician by trade. Either way I played along saying I was doing the various bits they requested. At first it was a male and then a female.

After a few minutes I decided to state that they must think I am stupid as Openreach never actually call people (unless it is an engineer calling to confirm a visit to your property). At this point the woman became REALLY abusive stating I am stupid as I was doing everything she had told me to!!

So end of the day watch out for witheld numbers coming through to your landline from an Indian call center claiming they are from Open Reach

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Openreach scam call (saying on behalf of BT)

@Iaincmetwrote:

I am a new customer to BT and have only been signed up a week or so, this afternoon I gets a call on my Ex Directory landline saying that it had been noticed that my broadband speed was troublesome and they were from Openreach.

Line was bad so gave them my mobile (I know bad idea but wasn't sure if genuine or not due to bad call).

This is a scam that actually affects all telecoms companies. They don't care who they contact, as it's not actually difficult to get number ranges for all the phone companies. They ring numbers at random, so XD numbers will also be called.

If the line was bad, then they will either ring back and try again or you try to get a number for them (which they won't give). They will be using VoIP systems and either spoofing the calling number or setting withheld etc.

Giving your mobile number unfortunately might mean they will pass it around and you could get extra scam calls on the mobile.

0 Ratings
Iaincmet
Message 3 of 3

Re: Openreach scam call (saying on behalf of BT)

Yeah the mobile number could become an annoyance, I will change it though if I start getting calls through.

Obviously this is another angle they are using from an Indian call center (thats what it sounds like) to try and get you to install something or get personal info for identity theft or emptying your bank account.

Either way its a strange one , I am wondering if my info has been given out (alongside others most likely) as I did call a few times last week as I was having issues with my TV side of things.

0 Ratings