cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Outside post complaint?

Hi, When I moved into my new house in December I didn't have any internet for 2 month as the engineer said there was no wire leading into my property and there wasn't enough room on the pole outside to add another wire, so they said they would have to erect a new pole and connect a wire to my property that way.

I was speaking to my new next door neighbour and he informed me he wasn't happy about the fact the new wire was connected to his end of terraced house (from pole to his house where a black box is stuck to the side of his house and the wire leads round to my house next door) as he is planning on rendering his property at some point and he asked me to contact BT to get it removed. 

Does anyone know where I stand with this and what I can do?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Outside post complaint?

@Andywoolman79 

You would have to contact Openreach.

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network

There will probably be a charge for this,

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply, being charged doesn't sound fair as they just slapped it on the side of his house without consulting him or me,  to be charged for getting it removed seems a bit extreme?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

If the wire feeding you is attached to someone else’s property then Openreach should have obtained a wayleave to access the other persons property and attach the wire. This is a written agreement which should be obtained before the work is done. Your neighbour might need to check if one already exists as a previous owner may have signed one.

If it was done recently your neighbour needs to complain to Openreach. The neighbour shouldn’t delay as past experience* shows that if left for many months the reply is usually “why didn’t you complain when it was attached”.

Whilst you neighbour might not be happy at having to complain about it I think Openreach will only deal with the property owner where the wire was attached without permission.

Hope this makes sense.

Ade

*Retired now but worked for Openreach for a very very long time.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@Andywoolman79 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, being charged doesn't sound fair as they just slapped it on the side of his house without consulting him or me,  to be charged for getting it removed seems a bit extreme?

Normally Openreach would have entered into a wayleave agreement if they install equipment on a property, but then it could have been a sub-contractor that did it.

Your neighbour would have to complain to Openreach.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/loadRaiseComplaint.do

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe a lot more succinct and to the point than my post.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thank you all for your replies,  much appreciated,  my neighbour has been in his house for 3 years and I don't think they consulted him as he said if they did ask him to attach it to his house he would have told them where to go.

I'll tell him to contact openreach,  thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

If the wiring was only installed in February/March from the new pole, then your neighbour MUST have been aware of the work being done. 

Whatever the reason, you are now the unfortunate piggy-in-the-middle as your neighbour and Openreach must either come to an agreement or the connection must be re-done (without cost to either you or your neighbour).