cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernie-the-Bolt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

PSTN Shutting Down in 2025

BT is to close down the 'traditional' PSTN service by the end of 2025. No more land lines.

Well who knew?!

Moreover, how are vulnerable/old people without broadband going to be dealt with?

Answers on the back of a postacard please (well, I have found no useful information anywhere on t'internet, yet, to advise!).

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: PSTN Shutting Down in 2025

@Bernie-the-Bolt I hope you don't mind I've moved your thread to the landline section of the community as its more appropriate. I found the following Openreach FAQ's which I think you might find helpful. Section 7.9 specifically covers your question.

EDIT: Hi Everyone sorry about the broken link, I've fixed it.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Bernie-the-Bolt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

I know, but who else does!
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 22

It’s still in Consultation with OFCOM and Service Providers but it will happen.

Anyone wanting Voice Service will have one Provided by VoIP.

A lot of Countries either already do this or are also in the process of doing the same. Technology can only pander to old people for so long, you either move with the times or get off, up to you.
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 22

Vulnerable people will still have a telephone but service would be delivered a broadband service, If the customer does not have broadband I am sure there would be a phone developed that has a modem and router built in.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 22

@Bernie-the-Boltwrote:

BT is to close down the 'traditional' PSTN service by the end of 2025. No more land lines.

Well who knew?!

Moreover, how are vulnerable/old people without broadband going to be dealt with?

Answers on the back of a postacard please (well, I have found no useful information anywhere on t'internet, yet, to advise!).

Jersey have already done this.

0 Ratings
Bernie-the-Bolt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Really -How was this applied? What was implemented?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

@Bernie-the-Boltwrote:
Really -How was this applied? What was implemented?

You may like to ask JT that, but it was in 2018. See their history :-

https://www.jtglobal.com/global/our-history/

However I'm not entirely sure if there is any non-fibre legacy calls being made.

Another very close to full VoIP I believe is KCOM (Hull)

0 Ratings
Bernie-the-Bolt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Thanks - but I want to know how it was rolled out, particularly wrt older and vulnerable people. In my experience one has had to become an IT expert as, unlike with the traditional telephone system that it just worked, this is not the case with broadband. Routers can go into lock-out for no reason needing a hard reset and this will happen inevitably for people with systems with less nouse , or are just disinterested. In my experience women (generally) expect their male partners to know how to fix things. Who's going to help aged widows? Can't be a helpline if the 'line' ain't working!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 22

@Bernie-the-Boltwrote:
Thanks - but I want to know how it was rolled out, particularly wrt older and vulnerable people. In my experience one has had to become an IT expert as, unlike with the traditional telephone system that it just worked, this is not the case with broadband. Routers can go into lock-out for no reason needing a hard reset and this will happen inevitably for people with systems with less nouse , or are just disinterested. In my experience women (generally) expect their male partners to know how to fix things. Who's going to help aged widows? Can't be a helpline if the 'line' ain't working!

Again, ask JT - they've done it. It's not necessarily as you've described. The gubbins of the equipment can easily be in concentration points in the street, and nothing for the end user to do with regard their home connection.

BT did start something similar a while back called BT 21CN - look it up in wikipedia.

0 Ratings