Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Parents Faulty Phone Line / Infinity

Hi all - can anybody recommend what to do with my parents phone line type fault

Ill try to summarise - phone went off last Saturday for no apparent reason

This also knoced thier infinity off aswell - ok great its a phone line fault so hopefully resolving that will sort it

Booked an engineer - even though diagnostics showed it was an internal fault - mare

Engineer came ...did find a fault and fixed telephone line only - he said hh5 was "blowing" the telephone line when the hh5 was plugged into the extension behind the TV

Waited for new router and just tried this morning and whenever the infinity is plugged into the extension the phone line goes dead - when its unplugged phone line comes back

We dont want to fork out £130 to get this sorted so are there any recommendations ??

Im thinking either try a new extension socket or master socket as the master socket is an old one......they have no filters at all either if thats anything to do with it

Whats the lastest socket to get ??

Thanks for any info 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Parents Faulty Phone Line / Infinity

Have you tried plugging the home hub into the master socket to see if it works?

Its possible that the extension cable has been damaged, this would be your responsibility.

You may also have been charged for the last visit anyway.

0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Good thinking didnt think of that - will try that tommorrow

if we need to put new cable then - is there a recommended spec or is it all bog standard stuff??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Just buy a good quality telephone extension kit, that comes with a plug one end, to plug into your master socket.

It will have a socket on the end, either moulded on, or connected to a socket using an IDC tool.

0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

If its working at the master socket may just leave the hub there and route an ethernet cable to the TV >>switch as we need more ports

I assume I will then have to change the master socket to the new type - which at the moment on the extension end

I think the master socket at the moment just has a telephone connector

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You are not allowed to change the master socket. If your Infinity was installed by an installer, then they should have changed the master socket to one of the new ones, which look like this.

newnte.jpg

If it was a self-install, then there is not a lot you can do about it unless its one like this.

nte.jpg

You can then replace just the bottom removal section with a standard filtered phone/broadband splitter.

0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Keith

The top photo is what they have on the extension 

The master socket is an older type with just a telephone connector (with the bt openreach logo) - from that the bt engineer hard wired the extension - there are none of those filters either if that makes any difference

So basically if I want to move to the hall instead - is take the extension and put by the master socket basically - with just a shorter length of cable to the extension of course

I have a feeling this may solve the issue as when I was there for ten minutes this morning the electrics were tripping so maybe a good thing to move to a new electrical socket anyway - something funky happening

Thanks for the advice

0 Ratings