cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dcorbet
Message 1 of 10

Pay to replace a faulty extension socket?

Go to solution
Our BT extension socket seems is faulty and BT says I have 2 options:

1. Buy a replacement
2. Get a BT engineer to fix it for £99

My question is: as it is BT equipment and it was installed by BT, why should I have to pay for it's replacement if it's faulty? I can hardly hear anyone at the other end of the line (including the BT customer service people) - and yet it's my problem? I don't get it.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pay to replace a faulty extension socket?

Go to solution
all extensions after the master socket are the customers responsibility not that of Openreach
dcorbet
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Um, that doesn't really help. The socket is from open reach and was installed by them, so why is it my responsibility?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
once installed there responsibility ends Openreach are responsible for the connection up to and including the Master socket only as an extension can be installed by your self or a competent electrician
0 Ratings
dcorbet
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
I'm not talking about an extension - I'm talking about the box on the wall that Openreach installed and that the phone line and modem plug into. I don't understand why that's my responsibility if it's faulty. I didn't install it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

"Our BT extension socket seems is faulty and BT says I have 2 options:"

if you have no extensions you are refering to the Master Socket you are only responsible if the socket  shows signs of damage  or internal moisture 

the charge you have been told of is a warning you may be charged  if it is damaged  any other fault is free of charge 

what makes you suspect the socket may be faulty ??Test Socket.jpg

dcorbet
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Ok - thanks for clarifying. It's faulty as the phone line is terribly crackly. I've already spoken to the help desk and they told me to remove the front plate and plug the phone into the test socket and it worked fine. When I put the plate back in the front and plugged the phone and modem back in, the problem resumed. I have booked an engineer for Friday. Thanks for your quick response to my query.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Any time 😉
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

So do you use any extension sockets or just the Master Socket.  If you just use the Master Socket then you can leave the faceplate off and save yourself £99.  Or removing the wires attached to the faceplate would probably do the trick.  But either would cut-off any other telephone outlets you have.

These days many of us use cordless phones that only require one phone socket to support several phones.  So telephone extensions around the house are not the boon that they used to be. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@dcorbet wrote:
Ok - thanks for clarifying. It's faulty as the phone line is terribly crackly. I've already spoken to the help desk and they told me to remove the front plate and plug the phone into the test socket and it worked fine. When I put the plate back in the front and plugged the phone and modem back in, the problem resumed. I have booked an engineer for Friday. Thanks for your quick response to my query.

As long as you are aware that you will probaly be charged for the visit?

Openreach would more than likely just disconnect any faulty wiring on the rear of your front plat of your master socket, they would not normally replace anything.

As mentioned do you need the extension sockets?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings