Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
famasfilms
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Phantom calls to 123

Hi,

Despite not owning a telephone handset, I have a phantom call to 123 on my bill which lasted for 1 second and that I was charged 38p for.

I have tried to deal with the "customer service" but they are adamant that the call was made.  The line managers explanation for the call was that "a friend came round with a phone and plugged it in and made the call"

Not only is the call a mistake but the response of the customer service was mindblowingly stupid.

Please advise how I can get this removed from my bill

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phantom calls to 123

can I suggest you contact live chat
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
happyhippy
Message 3 of 10

I've also been charged for a call of 1 second to 123 Time Line, which I did not make.  In fact, I made no telephone calls on that day (7th July).  I spoke to BT customer services, hoping that they would rectify the matter, but, like you, they insisted that the call was made from my landline.

I live alone and no other person has access to my phone but, despite my protests that it was impossible for me to have made such a call, BT still insisted that it came from my landline and said that I probably made a "mistake" when dialling another number.

This is complete nonsense, as even my telephone bill shows that that was the only call placed on 7th July.

I am so disgusted at the response I received from customer services that I am seriously considering leaving BT for another provider.

Is there anything else I can do to have this call charge removed from my bill?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I have also had a number of calls 'made' from my land line to 123 all at ridiculous times of the day. I have been appalled by the customer service that I have received this morning. They are adamant that I made the calls, I know that I didn't...we just went around in a viscous circle. Am not impressed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi guys,

Thanks all for posting. Do you have a house alarm? Do you have any equipment connected to the line i.e. sky boxes etc?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
happyhippy
Message 6 of 10

Hi DavidM,

Thanks for your interest.  Fortunately, I managed to get this sorted out on the Live Chat system and have been granted a refund for the 123 call that I didn't make.  My biggest concern - and what caused me a lot of distress - was the response from BT's call centre in India.  I was made to feel like a lying half-wit.  I have consequently reported the matter to Ofcom.

0 Ratings
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi there,

We might have some useful information for you about phantom calls to 123

As part of our investigation into our service outage, we have discovered reports of Openreach dialling 123 from cabinets to see if a line is active.

See the story here: http://www.okcheersbye.co.uk/kelly-communications

Could it be that engineers have been performing what's called the "123 test" mentioned in this article?

0 Ratings
sgc841
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

There is a 1 second call to 123 showing on my 'recent usage' in my account. This happened to me before about a year ago and on both occasions I was out of the house at work when the call was made and I only ever make weekend calls, I also live on my own.

I have contacted BT through live chat and they said they will refund it, which is good, but how can this be allowed to happen in the first place? I know it's only 41p but this seems quite a common problem so how many people are billed for this without them even noticing?

I have nothing else attached to my phone line, no alarm, no sky box etc (just freeview). If it's engineers testing a line then it's bang out of order.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

most rogue calls to. 123/112/999 are normally down to a line fault.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
becci10
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I'm being charged for 123 timeline calls that I haven't made as well as other numbers.I have rang Bt nd they looking into it but insist I've made the calls. I hardly ever use my landline.
0 Ratings