Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TECommunity
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Phone Calls BT Hub Hacked

Go to solution

Like most people, I am am becoming more and more security concious / paranoid, and I decided to re-check the security settings on my Smart Hub, using the admin password I set previously.

Couldn't log on, invalid password.

I tried using the WPS button to bypass the admin password, and use the default router password. I was still unable to log on....invalid password.

This is where it gets interesting / scary.

I thought I may have just written down the wrong password when I set it previously, so I reset the router to enable me to start again.

Within a few minutes I got an automated call on my BT phone, that my router had been hacked and to press 1 for BT, or 2 for a different service provider. Needless to say I didn't press anything and hung up.

I have never had one of these calls before, so the odds on me getting a call immediately after I reset the router must be astronomical.

Since then I have had three calls within a day from Indian accented "technicians" telling me there is an issue with my router and wanting access to my machine....

The odds of this being a co-incidence are beyond immagination.

I work in IT, so I am well aware of internet security.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar, or can help shed any light?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Mike56
Message 2 of 17

Re: Phone Calls BT Hub Hacked

Go to solution

I periodically receive calls of this nature.  I usually listen for a few minutes then say.  For Security purposes can you confirm the last 3 digits of my BT account.  They either hang up or give me three random digits before I get the satisifaction of telling them they are wrong, then they hang up.

0 Ratings
TECommunity
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Usually I play along, pretend I don't have a clue about IT, and keep them on the line as long as possible.

While they are getting frustrated at my lack of understanding, firing up my slow computer, asking which keys etc., they aren't scamming some poor sucker who doesn't know better...

This one was different though. Haven't had a scam in months, but minutes after I had to reset my router, I get a call saying my router has been hacked.

Almost unimagineable for it to have been a co-incidence...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hi.

It's almost certainly a coincidence. There are a lot of tweets from people receiving this sort of scam call, and other saying someone in California is hacking them.

brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I had 2 of these automated calls last week with press 1 for BT, 2 for other provider. The message claimed my hacked router was affecting the California exchange if I heard it correctly. I also had 1 call from a human scammer along the same "Your broadband will be disconnected within 3 hours" route.

I have not made any changes to my BT Smart Hub for weeks so my guess is that your call was an unlucky coincidence.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
TECommunity
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks all, especially brummygit. You having the same calls last week, with no changes to your Hub, finally convinced me it is an incredible coincidence....
0 Ratings
Shazza2
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I received on of these calls from an Indian man on Thursday, asking to me to look up stuff on my computer, in the settings, then he asked me to open up my internet banking, finally the penny dropped I was being scammed.  He even new my name.

I've changed the passwords on all my email accounts, and my computer, is there anything else I should do, I'm not very good with computers but I am very concerned as I do onlin banking.

Kind regards

Sharon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Did he at anytime take over the control of your computer?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Shazza2wrote:

I received on of these calls from an Indian man on Thursday, asking to me to look up stuff on my computer, in the settings, then he asked me to open up my internet banking, finally the penny dropped I was being scammed.  He even new my name.

I've changed the passwords on all my email accounts, and my computer, is there anything else I should do, I'm not very good with computers but I am very concerned as I do onlin banking.

Kind regards

Sharon

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you say what made you believe this person was genuine to make you look at stuff on your computer etc? If so, what did they actually say?

What then made him say to you to open internet banking? What did he say that was going to achieve?

If he didn't gain any visible access to your computer, and you didn't tell him any personal information like passwords etc, you should be fine - and changing all the passwords is a good idea (as would be perhaps altering any security answers).

0 Ratings
MEHTA
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I received the call this morning and sounded very genuine that she was calling from Openreach even told me check to check my IP address but she told me type my1p instead of ip and told me that someone in Amsterdam has got my IP address  (since i had travelled to amersterdam recently thought it might be true she told me to log onto BT wesite bur the address was not BT.COM a website looked exactly like BT but the colours were not same and she told me to give them access to my computer

It did not sound right so called my IT guy and he told me this is scam to diconnect immediately.

website was something like bt.fiber-webnode

0 Ratings