cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Phone Calls BT Hub Hacked

Go to solution

Hi @MEHTA welcome to the community and thanks for posting. That's a typical scam and you done the right thing in not allowing them to access your computer. Openreach don't call the public and BT would never call regarding a broadband fault and request access to your computer unless you've first reported a problem to us.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
pottsie11
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

Just had the very same call on my landline, I believe we had one on saturday also but I didnt take that call.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Useful post today on reporting Scam Calls via: 

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Lorry46
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution
I've just received a call saying press 1 for bt claiming my internet is going to be closed down in 24 hours as its been hacked. So glad I checked on here before going any further then booting up my computer. Was asking how many people use the internet and how many computer on the line etc
0 Ratings
Jodhi
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution
Just posting to say that I too have had a call the same as everyone else here. On my land-line, telling me the connection is hacked and they'll terminate the line within 24 hours. Press 1, press 2 etc. I just hung up.

Weird thing is, we don't even have BT as our provider. Obv the main phone line is owned by BT but we have Internet with Sky.

Be vigilant!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@Jodhiwrote:
Just posting to say that I too have had a call the same as everyone else here. On my land-line, telling me the connection is hacked and they'll terminate the line within 24 hours. Press 1, press 2 etc. I just hung up.

Weird thing is, we don't even have BT as our provider. Obv the main phone line is owned by BT but we have Internet with Sky.

Be vigilant!

Hi.

It's not really weird, just that the scammers are fools. They assume that most phone lines are BT, and hence assume that any broadband service will be BT. Unfortunately a lot of people have been scammed - and more will be, which is why these calls keep coming.

The Ofcom database shows the ranges allocated to telecom operators, but that will not show any ported numbers - hence the ranges will appear to be totally one operator.

0 Ratings
ZooBurner
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Imagine that these scams take place every day, calling thousands of people.

At some point someone is going to have just re-set their router due to a problem, I would say it's inevitable at some point.

0 Ratings