cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parrye1
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Phone Numbers recorded on 1471

This evening I received a call from a lady with a Scottish accent who had obtained from her 1471 my number and that a call had originated from my home number at 12 noon.   I explained that I was away from home at that time, the house was empty and I was at a loss to explain how my home number had come to be recorded.

I subsequently established that she lives in Dumbarton in Scotland, and  have never had any contact or need to ring her.

I reported this to BT help centre, but as usual the Asian lady was helpful but I could not understand the explanation I was  offerred.   Has this happened to others as it has me very worried???

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Phone Numbers recorded on 1471

she most likely had a wrong number and called you in error
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

@parrye1 wrote:

This evening I received a call from a lady with a Scottish accent who had obtained from her 1471 my number and that a call had originated from my home number at 12 noon.   I explained that I was away from home at that time, the house was empty and I was at a loss to explain how my home number had come to be recorded.

I subsequently established that she lives in Dumbarton in Scotland, and  have never had any contact or need to ring her.

I reported this to BT help centre, but as usual the Asian lady was helpful but I could not understand the explanation I was  offerred.   Has this happened to others as it has me very worried???

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If she dialled 1471, and wrote down the number or remembered it and dialled it manually, then it's more than likely she got the wrong number - possibly getting 2 digits the wrong way around or just a number wrong.

If she had dialled 1471 and used the option "3" to return the call (which costs a service charge to use), then that would be something different - and actually extremely unlikely.

parrye1
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Tonight I had another call, this time  from a lady in Basingstoke who had found my number on her 1471. I had not originated a call from my phone... how can this happen????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 13

Hi.

24 hrs later can you not find out if any calls were made from your account in "MY BT"/My Bills & payments/ View your recent usage.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
parrye1
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the suggestion.. I have already checked the first call I received and it is not recorded as being originated from here in Recent Usage

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

@parrye1 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.. I have already checked the first call I received and it is not recorded as being originated from here in Recent Usage

Which does go some way to confirm what the other posters are saying.  I know two different callers are saying it but it could just be coincidence.

If another caller rings and says they got your number from 1471 ask them  if they rang you with the redial or did they write your number down from the phone screen and then call you.

At least it looks like you are not being charged for the calls.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@parrye1 wrote:

Tonight I had another call, this time  from a lady in Basingstoke who had found my number on her 1471. I had not originated a call from my phone... how can this happen????

Hi again.

Did you see my other reply ?

You need to find out if the person dialled your number after writing it down, or pressing the digit after the 1471 message.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

I find it odd when people call 1471, don't recognise the number so call it and ask who you are and why you called them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

@plainview wrote:

I find it odd when people call 1471, don't recognise the number so call it and ask who you are and why you called them?

Thats right, I always say if someone wants to speak to me then they will always ring back, and there are only two reasons that they don't ring back.

1 They don't realy want to speak to me.Smiley Sad

2 They diedSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings