cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james77
Message 1 of 5

Phone Scam?

We recently had a BT phone installled so almost no one has the number as we often use the mobile.  Today the phone rang and my partner answered it.  When she did so a voice essentially asked her if she was interested in free telephone calls and if so, press 2.   She was caught unawares and as the service is brand new, she thought it was BT service, so she pressed 2.     Sounds like a scam to be me. Anybody heard of it and what should we do?  Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone Scam?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This may or may not have been a scam, you say that no one has your new number, the trouble is although the number is new to you the number itself would have been around for years and was probaly someone elses number (could even have been only a few months ago) before you got it.

A lot of theses call centres have predictive diallers which are programmed to ring pre-programmed numbers, an example of this is:

1st call is 01234 567890, next call 01234 567891, then 01234 567892 etc etc. the computer is looking for a reply and when it gets one it puts the call to an operator, this is why we all get a lot of silent calls as if there is no free operator the call will just cut off.

Similar thing with the call you got, not much you can do really.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Cal2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Sounds like an automated pre-filter for telemarketing.

If you haven't registered with TPS, always a good idea, as it at least reduces the number of nuisance calls.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Cal2013 wrote:

Sounds like an automated pre-filter for telemarketing.

If you haven't registered with TPS, always a good idea, as it at least reduces the number of nuisance calls.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

Unfortunately it sounds from the OP's post that it was a recoreded message call:

" When she did so a voice essentially asked her if she was interested in free telephone calls and if so, press 2."

If this is the case then registering with the TPS will not do any good.

"Telephone Preference Service (TPS) will help reduce receipt of live unsolicited direct marketing calls but will not stop pre- recorded calls.
Organisations that use recorded phone message to try and sell or promote their products or services have to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. These say that marketers who leave recorded phone messages must obtain prior consent from the subscriber before they can make such a call.
Where a subscriber receives a recorded phone message they haven't agreed to there may have been a breach of the regulations. If you are receiving recorded messages and have not given prior permission and can identify the organisation leaving the message, you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), who are the body responsible for enforcing the above regulation. Their details are:
The Information Commissioners Office
Tel: 03031231113"

A complaint to the ICO office is needed..

The government don't want to make it toooo easy for you to complainSmiley Mad

If its one type of call, you have to complain to x,

if it's another type of call, you have to complain to y.

Surely much easier to have one body dealing with all NUISANCE calls, and give the body some bite.Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
RedArmy20
Message 5 of 5

Re: Phone Scam? Press 2 for unlimited free calls! Voice recording not actual person!

I have just had a call exactly like this and after doing a 1471 call showing the number and unavailable I decided to Google it and came here. Mine is a fairly new BT landline and very rarely, if ever use the phone. It's purely for the line and my broadband. I didn't press 2 as I believe it's probably a scam as it didn't mention BT. I thought I'd post so that other people who may not be as savvy fall in to what could potentially be a costly mistake. These people need rounding up and sending to remote parts of Siberia! They are pure scum preying on people and unfortunately there's very little, or nothing that can be done as the TPS is useless when it comes to things like this. How can you report a number that you don't have. If people could pass the information on to elderly relatives, friends etc that are from a time when things like this were less frequent then hopefully these vultures can earn a few less £'s. If anyone has any ways of getting to the bottom of who this is, and what we can do to stop them then maybe we can act as a community to take them down it would be much appreciated and a great help. Thanks in advance. RA. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings