Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brianfields
Beginner
Message 11 of 91

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

Are these incoming numbers that are being given by the consumers being monitored or blocked by BT? If not, why not?

0 Ratings
JSO1
Message 12 of 91

Go to solution

Just had the same thing just now. International call from a call centre. Chatted a while until they wanted me to go into my PC. Said I didn't believe them. They even rang me back to ask why I'd hung up on them!

A few minutes later, a digitalised Amercian voice claiming to be BT, and that my boradband was "compromised" ... asked me to press 1 for BT, 2 for another provider...I pressed 1 and it sounded like I'd been put through to the original call centre.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 91

Go to solution

@JSO1 wrote:

Just had the same thing just now. International call from a call centre. Chatted a while until they wanted me to go into my PC. Said I didn't believe them. They even rang me back to ask why I'd hung up on them!

A few minutes later, a digitalised Amercian voice claiming to be BT, and that my boradband was "compromised" ... asked me to press 1 for BT, 2 for another provider...I pressed 1 and it sounded like I'd been put through to the original call centre.

You should not press any buttons. You should just hang up. You have now informed them that they have a live one on the end of the line. You could expect a lot more calls from scammers now. You may also find that by pressing 1 you were connected to a premium rate phone number. Keep an eye on your bill.

Ldm
Message 14 of 91

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

Hi All

Had a call today supposedly from BT saying that my broadband was going to be switched off and giving option of press 1 to decline and 2 to accept. After that an American sounding voice came on the line and we said we knew that this call was not from BT and I put the phone down.The number is 01534 873403 and is  a Jersey number. I have looked it up and I have found out the name and address belonging to this number but I assume it has been used somehow unknown to the owner.

This is obviously a scam. BEWARE!!

We have reported this to BT and they have blocked the number, but said that is all they can do.

Highlighted
george189
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 91

Go to solution
There is a new scam call where an automated voice tells you that your IP address was traced as trying to hack a government site and if it wasn't you responsible to contact a given number otherwise your internet access will be terminated within 24 hrs, Another twist on this scam!!!!!
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 91

Go to solution
I recd a call today saying my BT line was compromised, then press 1 to accept. I hung up. The call came from number 01736 844255. When I phoned that, number not recognised.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
FatPat
Message 17 of 91

Go to solution

The same has happened to me today.

The numbers displayed were:
01449 250104 & when they called back (I was busy when they first called & they offered to call in an hour) the number was 01250 138364.

The fact that 2 completely different numbers were displayed made me suspicious .

They gave me a Router Registration number as proof that they were *real* & then asked me to go to my computer & they'd talk me through how to verify it.

They became increasingly irate when I told them I didn't trust that it was a bonafide call from Openreach, and they threatened that my internet would be stopped.

I hung up.

Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 91

Go to solution

Our phone  numbers are known to the BT call centres in India whose staff  I believe then pass it on to  the fraudsters  or they are fraudsters themselves.

Let me explain .     A few months ago I  rang BT to say my internet has slowed down ; the call center guy in India went through few suggestions or checks,  then decided to send me a replacement hub router .  The new hub made no difference .

Two weeks later I got a call from Indian sounding lady claiming to be from BT asking me to test run the internet  speed on my  home computer.    She seems to know a lot about my details.    I said I dont have a home computer but use an iPad .   Anyway she asked me to log the iPad on to a website at which point I knew they wanted to take over the iPad.   I asked her why and she struggled to convince me.   Then a man ( again Indian sounding )  took over her call.   I  said they are scammers at which point they hung up.

I strongly say BT  is part of the problem for not screening their overseas staff.  I have seen similar blogs and BT just denied  the link , saying these scams are just coincidences.   So much for outsourcing work.  Overseas  staff have no  loyalty to British clients and see  us as money pots.

Guru
Message 19 of 91

Go to solution

There will always be rogue individuals in every walk of life but to classify all overseas call workers either fraudsters or linked to fraudsters is insulting to the many good, honest people out there.

Many of the scams are started with a computer randomly calling telephone numbers not knowing if any are live. It is only when people respond or engage with the caller that they know the line is indeed a live number, the live number then passed around the fraudsters.

So indeed, many of the calls will be just a coincidence, a lucky pick.

Stew

Message 20 of 91

Go to solution

Hi! I answered this call yesterday and decided to press 1 to see what information I could gather. The operator, presumably from an Indian call centre initiated her query by asking how many devices are connected to my broadband. I refused to tell her saying that I don't feel comfortable giving out any information. She tried to brush it off as an innocent yet vital question in resolving my compromised IP. She passed me on to the "technician" who asked me to ad lines of code in a windows cmd command shell. I said sorry I can't do it I'm not using Windows but a linux system. So he instructed me to create a teamviewer session in a web browser, where he will "fix" the security settings that are causing my IP vulnerability. By the time I have finished interrogating the technician with technical questions he was the one who felt vulnerable and was going to hang up. I kept him on the phone until I have reached more clarity.  

The fact is, when an operator is able to connect to your computer, with your consent, via a command prompt or teamviewer or some other means, there is no way of telling what sort of damage can be done to your operating system  (when you're using Windows) in no time at all. Be sure that you will be compromised. And the devil will be laughing. Also, keep in mind that the operator can hang up at any time, and you will not be able to call back on the number you have received the call from. So, in short, you will end up with a broken computer with the possibility of many confidential data being stolen, in no time at all. 

This is highly suspect, and no-one should allow any technician to access your desktop either through a command prompt or teamviewer at all unless there is legitimate reasons for this it and that such a scenario have been thoroughly discussed, confirmed and an appointment made for such a session to take place, via email with legitimate letterheads, real addresses, and local numbers, and the issue is known to exist. 

Anyone can call and insist that you have a problem. Don't act on fear. Keep calm, and protect yourself first. Do not cooperate. I answered this call to probe the scam since I've been receiving the same call for well over three months. Today my Internet is still up and running.