cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 99

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

Hi! I answered this call yesterday and decided to press 1 to see what information I could gather. The operator, presumably from an Indian call centre initiated her query by asking how many devices are connected to my broadband. I refused to tell her saying that I don't feel comfortable giving out any information. She tried to brush it off as an innocent yet vital question in resolving my compromised IP. She passed me on to the "technician" who asked me to ad lines of code in a windows cmd command shell. I said sorry I can't do it I'm not using Windows but a linux system. So he instructed me to create a teamviewer session in a web browser, where he will "fix" the security settings that are causing my IP vulnerability. By the time I have finished interrogating the technician with technical questions he was the one who felt vulnerable and was going to hang up. I kept him on the phone until I have reached more clarity.  

The fact is, when an operator is able to connect to your computer, with your consent, via a command prompt or teamviewer or some other means, there is no way of telling what sort of damage can be done to your operating system  (when you're using Windows) in no time at all. Be sure that you will be compromised. And the devil will be laughing. Also, keep in mind that the operator can hang up at any time, and you will not be able to call back on the number you have received the call from. So, in short, you will end up with a broken computer with the possibility of many confidential data being stolen, in no time at all. 

This is highly suspect, and no-one should allow any technician to access your desktop either through a command prompt or teamviewer at all unless there is legitimate reasons for this it and that such a scenario have been thoroughly discussed, confirmed and an appointment made for such a session to take place, via email with legitimate letterheads, real addresses, and local numbers, and the issue is known to exist. 

Anyone can call and insist that you have a problem. Don't act on fear. Keep calm, and protect yourself first. Do not cooperate. I answered this call to probe the scam since I've been receiving the same call for well over three months. Today my Internet is still up and running. 

0 Ratings
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 99

Go to solution
Statistically most scammer calls have Indian accent and relate to BT user queries. Quite a coincidence.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 23 of 99

Go to solution

@Sandakanwrote:
Statistically most scammer calls have Indian accent and relate to BT user queries. Quite a coincidence.

Really? I have had plenty of UK callers, American and “Indian accent”.

Do you not think that as BT has the largest customer broadband base, statistically, if you phoned a telephone number at random, they are more likely to be a BT customer than any other ISP. So if you said you were from BT, again, you are more likely to get a hit?

Stew

0 Ratings
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 99

Go to solution
You previously referred to random computer phonecalls until the unwitting person picks it up eg PPI selling. Now they are more sophisticated. The scammers saying you have reported to BT about slow speed broadband and call you back to check how are things. Once engaged in conversation they seem to know a lot about your BT account and personal details, eg how much your recent bill was. so sound convincing. Then ask you to log onto a site which unknown to the client, takes over the computer. I like the BT community to be aware of this.
0 Ratings
mrsgreenberg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 99

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

I've had two calls today, one from 0208 376 3842 the other from 0208 850 1304. It's getting so bad that I've had to turn my phone off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
trevorhindson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 99

Go to solution

every day i get these calls monday to saturday from 0900-1900 phone line waste of time also TPS of no use as these scammers based in India ..they have a random number generator so call block waste of time as all the cloned phoney UK Numbers are changed at will..just on permanently blocking all these random numbers pointless.

suggest you go to who called me.co.uk web site see the neverending reports of this scam it is of collossal proportions.Nearly every area in uk they use numbers for they are all cloned i use 1471 later in day and try number  on mobile ALWAYS NUMBER NON EXISTENT!

Sure BT have call centre in India which has been hacked and all personal details been stolen.

they seem to know who has what broadband deals.

Perhaps interpol should raid this phony Indian place or blow it up?

CAN YOU PROVE YOUR BT PROPER GENUINE CALL CENTRE IN INDIA HAS NOT BEEN HACKED?

Trev

0 Ratings
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 99

Go to solution

I totally agree BT and its India call centre  needs a sort out     May even put customers off and change to  other provider

@trevorhindsonwrote:

every day i get these calls monday to saturday from 0900-1900 phone line waste of time also TPS of no use as these scammers based in India ..they have a random number generator so call block waste of time as all the cloned phoney UK Numbers are changed at will..just on permanently blocking all these random numbers pointless.

suggest you go to who called me.co.uk web site see the neverending reports of this scam it is of collossal proportions.Nearly every area in uk they use numbers for they are all cloned i use 1471 later in day and try number  on mobile ALWAYS NUMBER NON EXISTENT!

Sure BT have call centre in India which has been hacked and all personal details been stolen.

they seem to know who has what broadband deals.

Perhaps interpol should raid this phony Indian place or blow it up?

CAN YOU PROVE YOUR BT PROPER GENUINE CALL CENTRE IN INDIA HAS NOT BEEN HACKED?

Trev

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 99

Go to solution

....  and while you are at it sort out the scams that purport to be from Microsoft. May even put customers off and change to Linux!

.... and sort out the scams that puport to be from your bank. May even put customers off and change to another bank.

..... and sort out the scams that purport to be from HM Tax. May even put customers off and change to the Cyman Islands

etc etc etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 99

Go to solution

@StewMwrote:

@Sandakanwrote:

Really? I have had plenty of UK callers, American and “Indian accent”.

Do you not think that as BT has the largest customer broadband base, statistically, if you phoned a telephone number at random, they are more likely to be a BT customer than any other ISP. So if you said you were from BT, again, you are more likely to get a hit?

Stew

The ofcom website lists all the valid number ranges, and to which company they are allocated. Therefore the scammers can target any telecoms company and pretty much guarantee the numbers they call are for that company. Some numbers will be ported to another company, so the scammers would stumble on a different company at times.

0 Ratings
Moanat
Beginner
Message 30 of 99

Go to solution

I think you are correct because I can hear the scam caller is working in a BT hub, from the background chatter of many callers. Furthermore I have caller display but when diallng back the number of the call just received BT says “The number you are calling has not been recognised. Please redial.” So fake numbers are showing in caller display screen.  I have had four such calls in three hours today. Yesterday I had a man with a strong Indian accent announcing himself as Marjorie Williams! They always use English names like Kevin etc. Our very first BT email adress that we had not used was flooded by spam the morning after it was set up. So who do you think gave them our brand new, unused email address, where the spammer addressed us by first name? 

0 Ratings