Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 91

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

@watfordihwrote:

Not very helpful! - Especially from a "distinguished sage".

"On 30 January 2007, Plusnet was acquired by BT Group," - Wikipedia

"If you have a problem with your phone line — regardless of whether you are a customer of BT, TalkTalk, Sky or another provider — it will usually end up beingfixed by BT's engineering arm, Openreach. It is responsible for the upkeep of most of the telecoms infrastructure in the UK". - Moneywise.co.uk

Both Plusnet and BT customers are experiencing the same problem. Neither ISP has fixed it. BT is Plusnet's parent company and, as such, the "buck stops" with BT. Also BT/Openreachs' role in the provision of telecommunications in the UK puts them in a much better position than anyone else to find a UK solution to this.

Anyway, surely this problem must be dealt with by the industry as a whole - led by Ofcom and BT. This problem was highlighted in (and probably before) 2013. But no apparent progress so far.

NO telephone company should allow call number spoofing on their networks and they have a responsiblity to prevent it. After all it is nearly always fraudulent.

AND IT'S THE CUSTOMER WHO SUFFERS.

The problem is global, affecting companies like Comcast and AT&T in the USA. If it really was that easy to block these calls then it would be happening.

It is now Openreach and are completely separate from BT, as is Plusnet - they are not the same.

OFCOM control the number ranges and much of the telecom industry in certain ways.

Spoofing numbers is trivial, as BT themselves do it when they call. Their internal numbers do not show, but a dedicated called from number is displayed. It's not always fraudulent, as a lot of other companies use it too. Spoofing isn't done in the network, it's done before that.

The numbers are always changed by the scammers, so that they can avoid being blocked by things like BT Call Protect and similar systems by other CPs. So far, most of the numbers they "call from" are not valid, but usually in valid ranges.

If the exchanges need to process the numbers to see if they were valid, then the processing power needed could be far too high. The exchanges have a finite limit of processing. When scammers happen to spoof valid numbers, then their would be nothing to check.

The scammers use VoIP systems, which many telecom companies are switching to (IP systems as it happens, so I see it could become worse.

It is because people respond to these calls, like email spam. If the end users doesn't do anything, this would go away. Unfortunately this isn't going to change.

0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 91

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

Thanks Andy for explaining the role of Comcast, AT&T, BT and Openreach in this matter. That was helpful. I understand the pressure these companies must be under from their business customers (even their own management) to allow numbers to be spoofed. I also understand the desire from big business to have spoofing facitilies via VOIP. Sadly, it illustrates the persistent problem of consumers suffering due to businesses bowing to pressures from big business. It is illegal for me to use number plates on my car that are not registered to my car. It is illegal for me to claim I am someone I am not. Indeed, it is generally illegal for any identity falsification and what is number spoofing but identity falsification? After further consideration, perhaps the real issue is not that number spoofing is allowed, but that it is allowed AND not controlled. As an example, I have ways to falsify the from e-mail address in an e-mail I send. But only because I know of several (non-UK) e-mail services that have lax security. More and more e-mail services are being secured so I cannot do this. Telephonic communications companies could learn from such an approach. I's not perfect but is a step in the right direction. Incidentally, I have asked my own ISP (Plusnet) but their response is similar to BTs and not actually solving the problem. The best suggestion was, beleive it or not, to buy a premium BT(!) phone system Man Surprised, like the now discontinued 8500, which allows the user to ask any calls from a number not in the systems contacts list to say their name etc. Scammers are usually automated systems which cannot cope with this and do not respond so the phone just disconnects them whereas genuine calls co-operate!

I'm looking into this but don't feel I should have to pay £100 to fix something that was brought on by the telecomms companies when they agreed to VOIP number spoofing.

Thanks again for your useful response.

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 91

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

I’ve just had this same phone call from 01258 616578 and when I pressed 1 to speak to someone, the line went dead. This was about the 6th phone call in the last 2hrs saying my internet was to be terminated which was why I finally answered it. I’ve sent an email to phishing@bt.com 

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 91

Go to solution

I’ve just had this same phone call from 01258 616578 and when I pressed 1 to speak to someone, the line went dead. This was about the 6th phone call in the last 2hrs saying my internet was to be disconnected. It was getting very annoying which is why I finally answered it! I’ve sent an email to phishing@bt.com stating the same.

0 Ratings
Moanat
Beginner
Message 55 of 91

Go to solution

Definitely NOT GENUINE! 

BT does not have call  centres in USA. If you dial 1 you are put through to an Indian accent. They start the spiel about my internet but I have resorted to shouting YOU ARE CRIMINALS!  F......OFF, then disconnect. They don't call again for a couple of weeks.

0 Ratings
Moanat
Beginner
Message 56 of 91

Go to solution
If you ring back that 0@£ number you are told by BT the number does not exist. They use spoof numbers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moanat
Beginner
Message 57 of 91

Go to solution
Meant to type the number of your caller.
0 Ratings
dcroadway8
Message 58 of 91

Go to solution

I have also received a warning regarding compromised IP address but from number 01286 711 094. 

0 Ratings
allgardens
Message 59 of 91

Go to solution

I just had a call similar to the above but came from a landline 02036176655 and again wanted me to press 1 but i didnt and hung up

0 Ratings
trevorhindson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 91

Go to solution
they are phoney cloned uk tel numbers not genuine i get 7-9 daily they are scammers..generate large amount of cloned uk numbers call protect little of no use.... if in doubt look up on who called me.com ...generally confirms its a scam
dont follow there instructions ie press 1 etc hang up.
trev
0 Ratings