Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 61 of 96

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

@trevorhindsonwrote:
they are phoney cloned uk tel numbers not genuine i get 7-9 daily they are scammers..generate large amount of cloned uk numbers call protect little of no use.... if in doubt look up on who called me.com ...generally confirms its a scam
dont follow there instructions ie press 1 etc hang up.
trev

Actually to be pedantic, the scammers spoof numbers - they don't clone or generate anything. They use VoIP systems to do the calling, costing them very little.

The number range 020 3617 xxxx from the previous poster is actually a valid range controlled by Gamma Telecom.

0 Ratings
suer1
Message 62 of 96

Go to solution

I have today received a phone call purporting to be from BT and telling me my internet is about to be disconnected.  The number called from was 01286 071754 -

I assume it is a scam.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 63 of 96

Go to solution
0 Ratings
fenny123
Message 64 of 96

Go to solution

Easy solutution.............<phone rings> Me: 'ello?
Someone with a heavy Indian accent :"Ma'am, I am calling about your internet access/computer which has wiruses........."

Me: "**bleep** orf scammer" <puts phone down>

or...........

<ring ring>
me: "'ello?".

Someone with a heavy Indian accent :"Ma'am, I am calling about your internet access/computer which has wiruses........."

Me: <shows mastiff the hand signal for 'speak'> 'ello? Can you speak up please? I can't............."ooh you naughty boy, stoppit.Mamma's tryin' to talk to a nice lady"..........'ello.............can you speak up please?.......................hang on, my dog is telling me something.............(me to mastiff) "what's that you say? Oh the postman is coming? Oh sorry........*not* the post man? Is it a 'bad man' (more 'speak' hand signals)..............sorry dear, my dog is telling me there's a bad man coming."

Indian scammer: "are you mad? Are you mad you think your dog is talking to you?"

Me: "not mad, Can you understand Spanish?"

Her: "no"...........

Me: "well that's why you can't understand him, he's a Spanish mastiff, from Spain, he only speaks Spanish (I then tell him 'Hombres Malos' - bad men which elicits even louder baying)

her: puts phone down.

Ah well, it was fun while it went on. Some Indian call centre scammer believes that my dog talks Spanish and I can not only understand him but have a conversation with him...............................or I'm insane! 🙂griphead.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 65 of 96

Go to solution

None of these calls have anything to do with BT.

0 Ratings
fenny123
Message 66 of 96

Go to solution
You don't say.............
0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 96

Go to solution

Keith_Beddoe, they ARE to do with BT.

I agree that BT did not make them, but it is BT and a few other large, arrogant companies like them that allow callers to spoof the caller Id number through VOIP. VOIP has NO benefit to the ordinary subscriber - only, perhaps, for big business.

As I've said before, number spoofing is designed to disguise identity which, in the real world  is immoral, if not illegal. If I pretended to be Keith Beddoe and took money out of his bank account, I would be guilty of identity fraud and branded, rightly, a criminal. These scammers are perpetrating identity faud all the time to extract money from subscribers bank accoiunts. Even when the scammers are not succesful, they are a b***** nuisance and wasting our valuable(?) time. 

BT have NO right to allow such illegal activities through their network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 96

Go to solution

Users of other providers get the same problem. BT Retail do not have control of the whole phone network. Virgin Media, Sky, TalkTalk plus others, have their own phone networks.

Remember, this is only a BT Retail forum for customers of BT Retail. BT Retail have no more control over the network, than any other provider.

What BT Retail do have, is BT Call Protect, which does help to reduce the number of these fake calls. Perhaps other providers have a similar feature?

If you are not a BT Retail customer, then complain to your own Service Provider, about these calls.

The other answer is to use a phone which can filter out these calls, by forcing callers to announce themselves.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 96

Go to solution
I see you've blocked my PC access. Can't take disagreement? Thanks. Shows BT In a terrible light. How long before he gets this removed? Still, I've got loads of other ways in. Not that I'm going to waste my time after this one. Forum members: be aware that Kieth's first suggestion only blocks known numbers and is totally ineffective against number spoofing. He should not have mislead you by suggesting otherwise. His second one is fine if expensive and time consuming to set up. BTW, You are right. I am not a direct subscriber. Used to be for years but you became too expensive against other businesses that simply sold on your services. However, it's coming up for renewal in 2 months. I shall, of course consider BT but blocking my PC in the middle of a debate won't help you. Bye.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 96

Go to solution

@watfordih wrote:
I see you've blocked my PC access. Can't take disagreement? Thanks. Shows BT In a

Perhaps you have fallen victim to the scam?

Remember, this is only a BT Customer to Customer forum, and people posting here, are just customers, not employees.

If you have a complaint, you need to raise it with your own Service Provider, not BT Retail.

0 Ratings