Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 99

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution
No, I have not fallen victim to the scam but feel sorry for anyone who is not a aware as we are and have.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 99

Go to solution

I would love to know how Keith, a BT customer has blocked your PC. Can you supply more details regarding what he has allegedly done to your PC?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 73 of 99

Go to solution

@watfordihwrote:

Keith_Beddoe, they ARE to do with BT.

I agree that BT did not make them, but it is BT and a few other large, arrogant companies like them that allow callers to spoof the caller Id number through VOIP. VOIP has NO benefit to the ordinary subscriber - only, perhaps, for big business.

As I've said before, number spoofing is designed to disguise identity which, in the real world  is immoral, if not illegal. If I pretended to be Keith Beddoe and took money out of his bank account, I would be guilty of identity fraud and branded, rightly, a criminal. These scammers are perpetrating identity faud all the time to extract money from subscribers bank accoiunts. Even when the scammers are not succesful, they are a b***** nuisance and wasting our valuable(?) time. 

BT have NO right to allow such illegal activities through their network.

As it happens, this is a worldwide issue. There are a lot of VoIP companies out there, not just for big business - e.g. Skype.

Companies legitimately use delivery numbers for their systems, BT is one of them. When BT call, the person will be calling from an office extension which will have it's own individual number - but when received to the outside world, it's a specific number and set by their internal switchboard system. They use a few delivery numbers, depending on the type of help/contact.

Lots of other companies do the same.

If it really was that straightforward to stop it, either by altering the way VoIP systems integrate with the network or other methods, then it would be done by now.

Be aware that this might need some form of OFCOM intervention or agreement.

I don't see Comcast or AT&T in the USA doing anything to stop it either.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 74 of 99

Go to solution

@watfordihwrote:
I see you've blocked my PC access. Can't take disagreement? Thanks. Shows BT In a terrible light. How long before he gets this removed?

Can you elaborate as to what you mean here? What shows BT in a terrible light? Are you saying a you've had a post removed?

0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 99

Go to solution

Hi ANdy_N and gg30340,

No, none of my posts have been removed. And Keith has not done anything to my PC. Just, I suspect, to the server access.

Just after a more emotive post at 10:14 , I started getting HTTP 500 on my Chrome browser in Windows 10 if I tried to access anywhere on the BT Community site. I still can't get in, though all other web sites are fine. I tried one of my tablets and got in no problem accessing. Maybe I was hasty to accuse Keith of blocking my PC access, but I found it all a bit of a coincidence.

I have just tried Edge and could get in on my pc. I then remembered that access identification addresses through Chrome can remain unchanged through a session allowing servers to block access from a particular browser easily whilst Edge (which I am using here) addresses change so it is more difficult. I am sure that if I re-boot I will regain access through Chrome (as the identification addresses will reset). 

I must admit to feeling that Keith's rather terse use of the expression "Nothing to do with BT" on more than one occassioni, is not very helpful to the BT Community and frankly really annoyed me as BT (together with OFCOM, aT&T etc) DO have responsibilities in this area.

Thank you for showing an interest though. Sadly, I can't see any point in contiuing this debate as it does not seem to be leading to any real attempts to resolve the number spoofing issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 76 of 99

Go to solution

@watfordihwrote:

Hi ANdy_N and gg30340,

No, none of my posts have been removed. And Keith has not done anything to my PC. Just, I suspect, to the server access.

Just after a more emotive post at 10:14 , I started getting HTTP 500 on my Chrome browser in Windows 10 if I tried to access anywhere on the BT Community site. I still can't get in, though all other web sites are fine. I tried one of my tablets and got in no problem accessing. Maybe I was hasty to accuse Keith of blocking my PC access, but I found it all a bit of a coincidence.

How can Keith do that? How would he know what to look at, which IP address or anything else to do with your connection? Only the forum management will be able to see logins and IP addresses accessing the system, not individual users.

Thank you for showing an interest though. Sadly, I can't see any point in contiuing this debate as it does not seem to be leading to any real attempts to resolve the number spoofing issue.

I personally believe the telecoms companies are doing things to help stop the issue. The network is an extremely complex system of signalling and equipment, interconnect to all sorts of systems - which have to be checked using all sorts of rules and regulations.

I have personally said that I believe it's the interconnect to VoIP systems that needs to be investigated (and probably is). The PSTN is a different kettle of fish where tracing of calls etc can almost certainly be done.

Should the likes of Skype, Vonage, potentially any IP only companies (which include Jersey) be barred from access to the UK network until they can sort out the issue? Controversial ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 99

Go to solution

@watfordih wrote:

Hi ANdy_N and gg30340,

Just after a more emotive post at 10:14 , I started getting HTTP 500 on my Chrome browser in Windows 10 if I tried to access anywhere on the BT Community site. I still can't get in, though all other web sites are fine. I tried one of my tablets and got in no problem accessing. Maybe I was hasty to accuse Keith of blocking my PC access, but I found it all a bit of a coincidence. So in other words ***Edited*** you should apologise to Keith for making the malicious accusation.

I have just tried Edge and could get in on my pc. I then remembered that access identification addresses through Chrome can remain unchanged through a session allowing servers to block access from a particular browser easily whilst Edge (which I am using here) addresses change so it is more difficult. I am sure that if I re-boot I will regain access through Chrome (as the identification addresses will reset). 

I must admit to feeling that Keith's rather terse use of the expression "Nothing to do with BT" on more than one occassioni, is not very helpful to the BT Community and frankly really annoyed me as BT (together with OFCOM, aT&T etc) DO have responsibilities in this area. As a private person, Keith can post what he wishes on the forum as long as it complies with the forum rules. It matters not that you happen to disagree with him or find it un helpful. What would be helpful would be if you could post what and how these companies could do something rather than just blandly stating they "DO have responsibilities in this area"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 78 of 99

Go to solution

What really matters, is that if you are receiving unwanted calls, then you need to contact your own Service Provider, and ask them what they are going to do about it, and not automatically blame BT.

If your provider is BT Retail, then BT Call Protect may help, there is even a chargeable VIP version which will only allow numbers that you specify, all others are rejected.

Other providers may have their own call blocking features.

The other alternative is a call blocking phone.

0 Ratings
Flossy744
Contributor
Message 79 of 99

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Users of other providers get the same problem. BT Retail do not have control of the whole phone network. Virgin Media, Sky, TalkTalk plus others, have their own phone networks.

Sorry to be a pain But I was with Virginmedia for 8 years and never had one spam call, until 3 weeks after I joined BT and now I have had about 30 calls since last August.

I used to follow the Virginmedia forum like I do on here and can’t remember ever seeing a  spam calls thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 80 of 99

Go to solution

@Flossy744wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Users of other providers get the same problem. BT Retail do not have control of the whole phone network. Virgin Media, Sky, TalkTalk plus others, have their own phone networks.

Sorry to be a pain But I was with Virginmedia for 8 years and never had one spam call, until 3 weeks after I joined BT and now I have had about 30 calls since last August.

I used to follow the Virginmedia forum like I do on here and can’t remember ever seeing a  spam calls thread.

VM do have reports on their forums, with people actually saying BT and TT have blocking systems so why don't VM!

VM have around 10-15% of the lines I believe, which is quite a lot less than BT. So there will be less calls in general. However the scammers seem to pick new ranges from time to time - hence will pick new customers, and would surely be a coincidence for people moving between ISPs. It is easy to assume that moving companies can cause these issues, but there is no indication that it would.

0 Ratings