Go to solution
creepy s$$%t houses
0 Ratings
smami01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 99

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

I have now had 5 phone calls over a couple of days - each from different numbers.  I have added each one to my 1572 blacklist.  I too recently had a need to ask for support from BT and in the course of this I was required to tell someone who appeard to be in India all the my details for "security and privacy".  

I strongly suspect that these unwanted calls are using information that has been stolen from BT or is being misused by their employees.  Unfortunately it is almost impossible to prove this.

0 Ratings
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 99

Go to solution

I agree  that staff ( perhaps overseas)  working for BT are misusing that information.  BT needs to regulate the employees.

0 Ratings
sonstornfi
Message 94 of 99

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Go to solution

They are also using a variety a of mobile phone numbers. Suggest using Call Protect as and when they come in. R-

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 95 of 99

Go to solution

Hi @sonstornfi ,

If you read many of the posts on this thread you will see that the majority of the numbers are spoofed.

0 Ratings
lethal
Message 96 of 99

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

Some of these scam calls can sound convincing when they have information on you but don't trust them. If someone rings up saying they're from BT or any other company for that matter and you feel they are trying to scam you, get personal information, account numbers etc don't give it out. 

The staff can see the amount of scam calls happening and telling people to block numbers won't last as the numbers change. If in doubt about any calls, simply tell the person that you believe the call is a scam and that you are going to contact BT on their official number. The agent should be completely fine with this if they are BT staff and although you won't get back through to that agent you were speaking to, you will know the next person is from BT as you have called them on the official number. 

Summary: If in doubt, hang up and ring BT on their official number.

0 Ratings
Billybobin
Beginner
Message 97 of 99

Go to solution

I've never received a scam call but in the last week it's been everyday from different numbers always an automated voice or in some cases from what sounds like an Indian call centre. 

I played a long with the last one who told me he was from bt and a virus had been detected on my internet, he wanted me to install remote connection software so that he could resolve the issue. After messing him about for a while I told him to **bleep** off.

BUT if you weren't computer savy or clued up it's a very convincing call. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just hang up once these criminals have access to your pc/laptop they will mine your personal data in seconds.

I've black listed the numbers and reported to the actionfraud website. 

0 Ratings
DaisyL
Message 98 of 99

Go to solution

Is there anyway you stop these calls? Yesterday I came downstairs to discover my 84 year old grandmother about to establish a link online with one of them. And today she was shouting down the phone that she didn't want to talk to someone who said he was from Microsoft, but he kept ringing back every time she hung up. Neither were genuine because they hung up once I asked them to contact us via our BT/Microsoft account. Arrrgh!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 99 of 99

Go to solution

@DaisyL 

Use a call blocking phone like the BT 4600.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt4600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker---twin-084666-BY4J.html

You can reject any calls from numbers that are not stored in the phone, or force others to announce themselves first.

0 Ratings