Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moanat
Beginner
Message 31 of 83

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

I think you are correct because I can hear the scam caller is working in a BT hub, from the background chatter of many callers. Furthermore I have caller display but when diallng back the number of the call just received BT says “The number you are calling has not been recognised. Please redial.” So fake numbers are showing in caller display screen.  I have had four such calls in three hours today. Yesterday I had a man with a strong Indian accent announcing himself as Marjorie Williams! They always use English names like Kevin etc. Our very first BT email adress that we had not used was flooded by spam the morning after it was set up. So who do you think gave them our brand new, unused email address, where the spammer addressed us by first name? 

0 Ratings
J4T
Beginner
Message 32 of 83

Go to solution

I just want to make folk aware that I am receiving numerous scam callers claiming to be from the BT technical department.  They falsely claim that all the numerous errors and warnings created within ‘Windows Event Viewer’ instigate a nuisance call to BT and that they need remote access to my computer to help fix it urgently. 

0 Ratings
RikMaxSpeed
Message 33 of 83

Go to solution

I've had three of these calls today. They are interrupting my work. How can we block them and what are BT doing about it?

0 Ratings
RikMaxSpeed
Message 34 of 83

Go to solution

I've had three calls today. They are interrupting my work. How can I block these scammers and what are BT doing about it?

0 Ratings
J4T
Beginner
Message 35 of 83

Go to solution

I think it would be prudent for BT to at least make their customers aware of this scam via e-mail or post so that unsuspecting folk don't get sucked into it.  The ultimate aim of the scammer is to get access to our bank accounts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 83

Go to solution

@J4T wrote:

I think it would be prudent for BT to at least make their customers aware of this scam via e-mail or post so that unsuspecting folk don't get sucked into it.  The ultimate aim of the scammer is to get access to our bank accounts.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Security-warning-Fraud-activities-or-scam...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 83

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 83

Go to solution

@Moanatwrote:

I think you are correct because I can hear the scam caller is working in a BT hub, from the background chatter of many callers. Furthermore I have caller display but when diallng back the number of the call just received BT says “The number you are calling has not been recognised. Please redial.” So fake numbers are showing in caller display screen.  I have had four such calls in three hours today. Yesterday I had a man with a strong Indian accent announcing himself as Marjorie Williams! They always use English names like Kevin etc. Our very first BT email adress that we had not used was flooded by spam the morning after it was set up. So who do you think gave them our brand new, unused email address, where the spammer addressed us by first name? 

With regard setting up a new email address, depending on structure - in the past the system said do you want "usernnamenn", where username was already taken and it offered the same but with numbers.

Spammers know this and if they had username as a "victim", they will probably add 100s of numbers after the username. They don't care that they don't exist, since they don't get the bounce messages. So if a new one was set up - immediately the account can get spam.

There is enough reports to suggest that there are insiders passing on user data to external scammers - this could be from any help desk, not necessarily foreign helpdesks.

The same sort of goes with people getting new phone numbers. They can be used before, or simply the scammers just dial out ranges - again they don't care if some don't exist, since it's likely they might in the future. So a new customer could easily get scammers calling as soon as the line goes live.

0 Ratings
trevorhindson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 83

Go to solution

suggest you visit who called me.co.uk to see this huge colossal fraud that is going on... they spoof thousands of UK phone numbers bombard people with either taped scam messages or use random call generator to scan UK domestic telephone lines to initiate scam. i get now 2-3 of these calls daily... TPS of no use they based in India.....they have gone to great lengths to open an artificial phoney BT call centre....you are supposed to be a GURU whatever that means!

so you know of all this what are BT doing about it...and what if anything are OFFCOM doing about it?

BT must know of all these millions of telephone calls coming into UK from India masked over by a random spoof UK number nearly always non existent.

Do you as a GURU suggest this is going to carry on and your not interested?

Why dont you get INTERPOL involved and get this crooked call centre shut down for good....also bring all proper BT Call centres back to the UK ASAP as thats where all customer information has been pilfered from.

Again seems the we are not interested in these scammers let them carry on we dont care!

Trev 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 40 of 83

Go to solution

You have made your point by double posting.

A waste of time perhaps.....

0 Ratings