cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 83

Re: Phone Calls saying that my Internet Connection is "Compromised"

Go to solution

@trevorhindson I appreciate these calls are an absolute nuisance and no one wants them, I get them too usually telling me that my computer has been hacked and they want to help. Our community leader has posted some useful information on the following thread on how you can report these calls to action fraud (police) and there's also some helpful info on how you can prevent these calls getting through to you. I've had quite good feedback from customers who use nuisance call blocker phones that screen the call before you answer it.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
deeeg
Message 42 of 83

Go to solution

I had a similar call today, recorded message American voice,  advising IP Address comprimised from abroad and then press 1 onto a "live" BT technician, Indian sounding, lots of office noise in background.

I interrogated him re name, location, etc all sounded very plausible and Iadvised I was intending to jot this down for record purposes upon which the call was terminated..... now thre's a surprise.  1471 revealed 01280741127, unobtainable on callback

Slightly concerning is we are with BT and have Caller Protect, so this shouldn't have gotr through

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 83

Go to solution

@deeegwrote:

I had a similar call today, recorded message American voice,  advising IP Address comprimised from abroad and then press 1 onto a "live" BT technician, Indian sounding, lots of office noise in background.

I interrogated him re name, location, etc all sounded very plausible and Iadvised I was intending to jot this down for record purposes upon which the call was terminated..... now thre's a surprise.  1471 revealed 01280741127, unobtainable on callback

Slightly concerning is we are with BT and have Caller Protect, so this shouldn't have gotr through

Hi.

Please don't call the number back, it will not be the scammers - and could be a real person whose number they indavertantly picked. The scammers spoof the called from number using VoIP systems, changing very regularly. BT mislead people about Call Protect - it will NOT do what they imply as the scammers use different numbers which are not theirs.

Call Protect is of little use for these scams.

0 Ratings
Sandakan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 83

Go to solution

Indian voice again. Fact speaks for itself.  Risk of outsourcing.

0 Ratings
RHF
Message 45 of 83

Go to solution

Just thought I'd add that I've just received this call too, at 10.46am today - American digitised voice claiming the internet connection has been compromised etc. - the number, according to 1471, was an 01739 area code.

0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 83

Go to solution

What I want to know is what is BT doing about it. The scammers are clearly spoofin the numbers for caller id. Surely, as BT control the telecomms network in th eUK, they should be able to detect spoofed numbers and just cut the scammers off without routing the call to ther customers (direct or indirect). They are derelict in their duties. BTW, I have receieved at least 25 such calls over the last three weeks. My isp is Plusnet which, I understand is owned by BT. My current process is to either hang up immediately or waste their time by as long as possible (but tht also wastes my time - but I am retired!!). Whatever I do does not seem to affect how frequently I am called. Trying to block the calls automatically costs money and, because they are spoofing their number and it keeps changing just doesn't work.

GET YOU FINGER OUT AND BLOCK THESE CALLS BT!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 47 of 83

Go to solution

This is a BT customer forum. If you are a Plusnet customer complain to them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 83

Go to solution
0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 83

Go to solution

Not very helpful! - Especially from a "distinguished sage".

"On 30 January 2007, Plusnet was acquired by BT Group," - Wikipedia

"If you have a problem with your phone line — regardless of whether you are a customer of BT, TalkTalk, Sky or another provider — it will usually end up beingfixed by BT's engineering arm, Openreach. It is responsible for the upkeep of most of the telecoms infrastructure in the UK". - Moneywise.co.uk

Both Plusnet and BT customers are experiencing the same problem. Neither ISP has fixed it. BT is Plusnet's parent company and, as such, the "buck stops" with BT. Also BT/Openreachs' role in the provision of telecommunications in the UK puts them in a much better position than anyone else to find a UK solution to this.

Anyway, surely this problem must be dealt with by the industry as a whole - led by Ofcom and BT. This problem was highlighted in (and probably before) 2013. But no apparent progress so far.

NO telephone company should allow call number spoofing on their networks and they have a responsiblity to prevent it. After all it is nearly always fraudulent.

AND IT'S THE CUSTOMER WHO SUFFERS.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 83

Go to solution

I thought it was very helpfull. You need to complain to your provider. Just because they are in the same group does not make them the same company.

If you had a problem with a B and Q product would you complain to Screwfix who happen to be in the same Kingfisher Groupb of companies

I would also point out you do not have a problem/ fault with your phone line as such. You have a problem with people calling you. 

0 Ratings