cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Phone dead but Broadband working

I seee this a lot on here but no real answers as to what it can be so here's my problem.

My phone has no ring tone.

I can't Ring Out.

When you Ring in to it it just gives Bussy tone.

Broadband works fine.

Plug it into Test Socket and all ok

I have one exension which I have unpluged and still nothing.

I noticed that when you put the socket back on that it plgs directly into the test socket so one would presume that this is where your phone goes in to any way, this is just a thought.

Any Ideas as to what the probem is??

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phone dead but Broadband working

The fact that everything is ok in the test socket indicates no problem with what Openreach are responsible for, the fault is on something you are responsible for .

..if the part of the master socket you remove to get at the test socket has wiring connected to it, then this cable could be faulty or the extension socket, or something plugged into the extension socket could be the cause...if there isn't any wiring connected to the removable panel of the master socket, then this 'consumer panel' itself could be faulty, and may need to be replaced, .it's a grey area who is responsible for this, it's part of the master but isn't essential unless extensions are wanted, so the easiest thing to do would be to buy one yourself, my guess would be the cable (wiring) between the master and the extension is faulty, probably crushed under a door threshold or punctured by carpet gripper rod.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

@Kburns, yes, you are correct, when the 'front panel' of the master socket is replaced, the extension wiring connected to it plugs straight into that 'test socket'. If all is OK at that test socket, then your problem is with that extension wiring, which will definitely need looking over to check for faults. This is your responsibility (nothing to do with Openreach), and you may need to replace that extension wiring (if this wiring is buried in walls/under floors this may present its own difficulties.) I hope you get this all sorted out soon, best regards.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I had this type of problem 3 years ago.  It was caused by a bad connection outside my house and fixed by running a new length of cable from the street to my house.  I think the broadband signal works on much higher powers than the telephone signal so with the right sort of bad connection the broadband can get through whilst the telephone signal cannot.

If I understand you correctly and everything works when plugged directly into the test socket then your bad connection must be on the house side of your test socket.  Perhaps the faceplate is damaged?  Or can you detach the extension wiring at the faceplate?  You might need a special tool to reattach the wires but those are inexpensive.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for all your comments, but any ideas as to why when you ring in you get a Busy Tone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

When you pick up a phone to make a call,  you 'loop' the line, obviously anyone now  calling you would get busy tone ( or an answer service like 1571)

the fault on your extension wiring or  extension socket, or whatever is plugged in there, is replicating  this condition, a loop (which is like a short circuit) could be the 2 wires your phone requires, in contact with each other, and on extension wiring it is quite common for this to be caused by the wires being stabbed by a carpet gripper, or crunched together underneath a carpet 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

If it works OK into the NTE test socket then your extension wiring clearly has a Loop on it, aka a Short... It will give callers an engaged tone because the Loop tricks the line into thinking the reciever is off the hook because that's what happens when you pick up the reciever of a phone, it applies a Loop...

Depending on what's causing the Loop, e.g. a Metallic Loop or something laid across the pair and where it is as well will determine if the Broadband works or not...

Is your extension wiring surface mounted or behind the wall cavity? If you can see it follow the route and loop for any breaks in it or if it's become squashed by anything, such as a window frame or door...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Unfortunately it's in the cavitity so not easy to trace back and any ideas how I can disconnect the extension.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Unfortunately it's in the cavitity so not easy to trace back and any ideas how I can disconnect the extension.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

just remove the wires from the removable plate on master socket
0 Ratings