Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shentonio
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Phone line dead, over 2 week wait for possible repair

Go to solution

Hi there

I'm posting on behalf of my Mum who cannot post in the forum as her phone line/broadband are currently down.

On Friday 4th January 2013 she noticed the phone was dead, and also that the Internet had stopped working. She rang the usual number BT provides and was told by an Indian chap that there is a fault but there won't be anybody available to look at it until 21st January 2013! She was not provided with any reference numbers to track the case or anything which didn't help.

Bear in mind my Mum is in her late 60's and relies on the phone to keep in contact with relatives, and this is especially important since my Dad died.

I am aware that Openreach are busy yadda yadda, but it is simply not acceptable for her to wait over 2 weeks for someone to at least have a look at it! She has spoken to her neighbours and they were having problems originally which now appear to have been sorted.

I am worried that not only will she have to wait but that she will charged a ridiculous fee for any repairs, even though the fault is not anything that she has caused. Also I am not happy that BT are going to charge for zero service for a two week period, surely this is essentially robbery?

Is there anyway I can get this escalated, and is there anyway I can get the charges she will receive refunded?

I have already contacted someone in the forum via e-mail but I don't think it worked as I was using my brother's mobile at the time.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Tootsie
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Phone line dead, over 2 week wait for possible repair

Go to solution
Hi Shentonio,
On the recommendation of someone else on the forum I contacted the BT Care Team at this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

You should give it a try. Hope you manage to sort something soon.
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi there

Although I have done that already I'm not sure it worked, so I will do it again just to be sure!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Tootsie
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
You're welcome. Also, I understand that your mum can have al her calls diverted to an alternative number and there is some form of compensation available for loss of service....I'll see if I can find the details.....I've seen them somewhere 🙂
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks again, most helpful.

I'm sure my brother has an old pay as you go mobile somewhere that she can use, so I think that would be easier than getting BT involved again with diverting cals and such!  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@Tootsie wrote:
You're welcome. Also, I understand that your mum can have al her calls diverted to an alternative number and there is some form of compensation available for loss of service....I'll see if I can find the details.....I've seen them somewhere 🙂

BT will not pay you compensation they will only refund your line and BB rental if your phone has not been repaired after the end of the 3rd working day also if you have your line diverted you are not entitled to this refund.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Update:

BT customer services have got in touch to arrange an appointment, which is a big relief! The only downside is that they tried to ring my Mum's phone even after I told them that it wasn't working, but I spose you can't have everything!

Bit annoyed that we can't get a refund sorted as the phone and internet service have both been offline since last Friday, so essentially my Mum has been paying for nothing! I wonder if BT would be lenient if my Mum decided not to pay the bill for a few days!

Will keep you all in the loop as and when I get a response. Thanks again for all your replies  Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Update:

So the appointment was today for between 8am and 1pm, and my brother had to take a day off from work so he could be there.

And guess what? The engineer didn't turn up! No phone call, note through the door or anything!

To be honest I was expecting something like this to happen, as it took them 3 visits to get my Broadband sorted!

I've tried contacting them to get another date sorted, no reply as yet but as ever I will keep you posted!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
shentonio
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Had a reply today, they have tried to book a date for tomorrow morning even after I have explained that no-one will be around in the mornings! Will give a further update when I know more
0 Ratings
shentonio
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
All done and dusted! Happy with the service provided by the BT mods, always kept me in the loop. The less said about the Indian call centres the better!
0 Ratings