cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Phone line fault 2 day fix turns into 2 months and now... they dont know

Ok, Back story (please take a deep breath, graba  glass of water a this may take a bit lol).

On September the 8th at approximately half past midnight my phone line packed up. Along with my phone line I lost the usual stuff (internet) etc.

I picked my phone up, no dial tone, nothing. So I went to bed and called BT in the morning. After being advised I may have to pay a bill,a nd engineer was booked for the 10th of September.

The engineer came out, did a lot of searching, test etc and concluded that the fault was outside of my house with the cable underground. He had to get a different guy from openreach to take a look.
The 2nd guy came out took a look, sprayed BT on the ground etc. He mentioned how the cable was faulty and how they had known about it for some time, just never got round to fixing it.

So I was ont eh phone to india to be told I would have a fix on the 11th. The 11th came and went and so I called and was told sorry I would see my line restored on the 15th. On the 15th they said the 17th, on teh 17th they said the 23rd and on the 23rd they told me the 14th of October. Smiley Sad

Ok so ive had 5 fix by dates. I had to wait for the contractors to dig the path up, put tubing in so BT could come and put a new cable in. Well at least its a new cable I thought, its costing me in lost calls that I normally can turn into revenue, but hey.

In the mean time, by some sheer miracle my internet came back on (albiet only at 2mb or worse compared to the normal 20mb).

Over the next 3 weeks all was still till one rainy day someone dug the path up put tubing in, filled it and went. I was excited Smiley Very Happy

The 14th October came and I was looking forward to a restored service...... hang on... Ok india tell me that it will now be fixed come the 20th october ???

Their reasoning was because they have figured out that the cable that was damaged, was damaged in 3 areas. 3 meters apart, and that the engineers would be out on the 20th to fix the fault which is located 1.8 KM from my house.

WAIT WHAT ? 1.8km from your house ?

Yup dspite the fact I can see the entire 25mtr length from my front door, the fault somehow moved itself to 1.8km up the road. I have attached a photo for your pleasure.btroadwork.jpg

The thing they fail to realise is no one has been back out to put in a new cable outside my property.

So anyway the 20th came and... ( no prizes for guessing by the way) it would now be complete by the 22nd. And then on the 22nd I was told it would definately by done for the 24th.

I called on the 24th, I was at my wit's end when I was told that now they actually no longer had any date at all for when it would be fixed, as they would organise multiple excavations etc.

So I am here now, ive had 9 differnt fix by dates, Direct Debits are going out, ive been told I cannot have a redirect because some form of work had already been done to do with the fault, and no one seems to know when it would be fixed (let alone appearing to know what the fault actually is).

I am truly at a loss as to what to do. Im trying to figure out if I can get a good enough form of internet another way and just be done with any kind of landline or bt service period, because no one seems to have a clue anymore.

And I certainly do not think that 1 or 2 months rebate will make me happy this time (Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this is the 4th Major fault within 1.5 years. Each time its taken 2.5 - 4 weeks to solve)

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Phone line fault 2 day fix turns into 2 months and now... they dont know

that's certainly some sad story  the mods will post a contact us link and help you 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Hi Macstabz,

I'm really sorry to read about the delay in getting your line repaired.  Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to chase this up with Openreach to find out what's happening. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Achi
Message 4 of 19

My mother is having exactly the same problem.  I have posted about it today.  If you read my post it is strangely almost identical to the problems you are experiencing.  I am aghast at BT's behaviour over this sort of problem.

0 Ratings
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Im chasing this up today.

In fairness I was contacted by a mod fromt eh forums, but he said he would keep me updated day to day and I havent heard anything since Saturday.

The last update im aware of was that the fault 1.8km up the road was either invented by those in India, or something openreach told them in India to shut them up (dont know) and that the work that was undertaken outside of my house apparently was not up to standard and had to be redone ?

This is what I understood anyway. So this being the case im awaiting an update via my mobile please, whats happening, who has and has not been sacked at openreach, why and why not etc.

The poor gent thought I was joking when I said I am not holding my breath in getting a service back before christmas lol.... See Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

The Mod dealing may be off shift for a few days but they will get back in touch as soon as they have more news
0 Ratings
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Hi Mod R. (Dont want to mention your name unless your ok with this),

You called ont eh 6th and gave me the low down, road to be dug up on 7th, wiring to be done on 11th & 12th, fixed by 12th.

In fairness I spotted problems on the 7th (the day after you called) as the contractors who were meant to redig the road and sort out the ducting (as per the info given to you by Openreach) just never appeared. To this day they havent been out, so naturally I dont think the wiring has been done.

Anyway could you please give me a call back, preferably today, as was agreed so I can get an update as to what rubbish they are trying to spoon feed us this time.

Also are you sure you dont want to place a bet with me on me getting my line back before new year ? Smiley Very Happy I appear to be winning so far lol.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Hi Macstabz,

Sorry about that Robbie is off ill today so I've asked one of the other moderators to get in touch.

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Hi Neil,

Thank you. I got a voicemail this morning telling me Dave tried to call, but my phone didnt ring.

Could you have him give me a call back please when his workload allows.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Macstabz
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Actually turns out I need Dave to contact me relatively urgently.

Not only do open reach think they have fixed all faults now but i need to question stuff on my bills from days where my phone line was broken, but apparently I made calls and am being charged ????!?!?!

I am by my mobile now and able to take a call. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings