cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kiloran34
Message 1 of 4

Phone line fault

I spent an hour discussing a phone line fault with a BT assistant today.

I have no dial tone and the phone does not ring. Broadband is working but with about 10dB greater attenuation than normal. I have a simple corded phone and two cordless phones connected via filters, and a home hub.

Before the call, I checked the incoming line from the street. I connected a digital multimeter and initially measured 18v between the two wires, and this slowly drfited down and settled at around 12v after a minute or so. I set the meter to measure current and connected across the two wires and got no discernable current.

This tells me that the line is open-circuit. I should normally measure about 50v, and get a short-circuit current around 50mA.

The assistant asked me to disconnect all equipment and filters, she ran a line test and said the fault was in my property. An engineer will come round at the end of the week.

With the multimeter measurements I made, how on earth can this be a fault in the property? She was insistent that it must be in my property. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone line fault

if you tried the test socket and get no line then problem outwith your control and need a openreach engineer.  it is possible for your broadband to work as that can work but slowly with only 1 wire connected

back to 151 and report a phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@kiloran34, when we had an identical problem to yours back in Sept 2013, the call centre staff insisted that the fault we had was internal to our property. I felt very frustrated at this as it was obviously an outside and underground fault! An engineer did find the fault in the 'drop cable' underground (50+ years old) and it was repaired in a reasonable time in our case - I hope yours gets sorted out very soon.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Openreach have a magic bit of kit that measures the distance from the exchange to the fault.  Unfortunately, it isn't totally accurate and can't really tell the difference between a fault inside your house and one just outside.  I've twice been told that I had a fault inside the property when it was actually a broken wire at the pole.

You only get charged the call-out fee if it really is in your wiring, or if you broke Openreach's equipment.  However, "broke" can be interpreted quite broadly - if a wire has corroded through due to damp in your house, they may decide to charge you.

0 Ratings