cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianfern
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Phone line needs "waking up"

Followingmonths of trouble three years ago our problem was solved by an expert here and the Care Team sohoping someone can help here.

Our phone line went dead yesterday. Panic. But the broadband was fine. So we went through the usual in house test regime and all seemed ok. I called my daughter on the mobile to tell her and asked her to try and call in. Yep, it worked. My husband then picked up the phone and hey presto - dialling tone. This has happened several times during the day. Line goes dead - I call in on the mobile- answer my own phone - out line is restored. It's as if the phone line dozes off and needs waking up. Haven't called the fault in yet as it's Sunday and  I thought maybe there's a very simple solution out there. And it does sound totally bonkers.

Hoping for a magic solution or failing that advice.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone line needs "waking up"

Hr (high resistance) fault on the line or a slight break in one of the wires. Dialing in causes voltage to be applied down the line to ring your phones. This can temporarily fix a hr fault.

Could be something else mind you like faulty exchange equipment.

Get an engineer out to check.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Could be a Rectified Loop or a non Metalic Loop.......
0 Ratings
ianfern
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your swift response. We do have a "notorious" junction box down the road so maybe the engineers will start there.
0 Ratings
ianfern
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Sounds technical! Our cul-de-sac has a history of minor problems so maybe this is another. Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings