cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bec_m81
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Phone line not working due to faulty BT FTTC (VDSL2) Faceplate (Phone Socket Section)

Hi,

We had a new BT Line and Infinity installed about 9 months ago and about 2 weeks ago we realised that we weren't getting any phone calls. The broadband is working fine with no problems. Also BT reported there were no faults on the line.

I reviewed the BT help videos online and plugged the phone line in to the master test socket and the phone works. The problem seems to be with the bottom half of the master faceplate:

fttc-faceplate-300x280.jpg

Now according to the BT Help videos if the phone line works to the master socket then any issues beyond that is my problem to sort - okay, but I am struggling to source a new bottom section of the faceplate to replace and I refuse to pay for a BT Engineer to come out and charge £99 to replace a £10 socket! 

So if anyone could point me in the direction as to where I can purchase one of these I would be very grateful.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Phone line not working due to faulty BT FTTC (VDSL2) Faceplate (Phone Socket Section)

Do you have any wires attached to the rear of the plug in front plate?

If you have then you probaly have a problem with your internal wiring, socket or something pluged in.

Front plates don't often go faulty.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Phone line not working due to faulty BT FTTC (VDSL2) Faceplate (Phone Socket Section)

The symptoms you describe could be caused by a phone somewhere else in the house being left off-the-hook.  Or by something else connected to your telephone system (like a Sky box) getting stuck in an off-the-hook state.  Of course, this assumes you do have extensions.  If so, temporarily unplug anything connected to them and see if that cures the problem.  Then plug things back in one-at-a-time and see if it comes back.  

0 Ratings
bec_m81
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions - I have checked the faceplate and it is not connected by wires only by plugs/pins. 

We only have this one socket in the house which everything is connected to. I have unplugged the sky box and then re-plugged everything in one by one via the faceplate and still nothing. 

Can you simply buy a new faceplate? 

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Your faceplate is in two parts.  There is the top part with the broadband output which is actually an interstitial plate and then the bottom section which is the actual faceplate.  If you remove the screws and try to detach the faceplate it is quite common for the two parts to come out together and quite firmly attached - but you can separate the two. If I understand you correctly there is nothing actually wired to the numbered pins on the inside of the faceplate, all your extensions are on wires that plug in to the front?  And everything works if these leads are plugged in to the test socket?  Now if you replace the interstitial plate but not the faceplate and plug everything into that.  Does everything still work? You can easily buy a new faceplate if that really is the problem.   

0 Ratings