Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oxygen
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Phone line through window

Go to solution

Hello!

I'm a BT customer looking for information on how to deal with an annoyingly positioned landline cable. It was installed well before I moved in (probably in the '80s). The cable goes through the wooden sash and into a junction box screwed onto the window frame. As a result, the window can't be opened. I could potentially deal with that, but all windows in the flat are in urgent need of refurbishing.

I contacted the BT help line and was told there's a £130 charge for having it moved. Considering the mistake was originally made, I assume, by a BT engineer, that doesn't seem fair.

If needed, I could try to do the job myself, but I'm not even sure that's allowed.

Any ideas or tips?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Phone line through window

Go to solution

@oxygen 

It was not unusual for cables to be run through a wooden window in the 1980s and well before that, I can remember it being done in the 1960s, so its not really been installed incorrectly,

Its Openreach that would move the cable, and also remove the junction box which is no longer used. They would pass the charge onto the Service Provider, in your case, BT Retail.

Does your incoming line from a pole, or does it come underground?

oxygen
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for the quick reply, Keith - fair enough, it just seems odd now that making a window unusable would ever be considered acceptable!

The line comes from underground in the middle of the square and then runs along the building to each flat.

The junction box seems to be in use - from it, another cable runs to the main socket in the same room (which is why I haven't just removed the whole thing).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The extra wire from the junction box is now called "star" wiring, and has a detrimental effect on broadband speed.

Extension wiring should always be taken from the master socket, preferably from a filtered outlet.

As the majority of the wiring is external and comes from a common DP (Distribution Point), you really have no alternative but to get Openreach to do the work, as even a private telephone technician would be unhappy about interfering with a common feed from a DP.

Openreach would re-run the cable and fit a modern master socket 5c,and remove that junction box and extension to the other room. If you needed that extension, you would need to re-run that yourself from the new master socket.

You would normally be given the option to have the new master socket fitted in the location of your choice, within reason.

oxygen
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I see, thank you! Glad I resisted the impulse to just do the job myself, then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@oxygen wrote:

I see, thank you! Glad I resisted the impulse to just do the job myself, then.

If it had just come in from a box directly outside your property, then you may have found someone else to do it, but as it comes from a common feed, a new external cable will need to be run, and  drilled through the wall and sealed to prevent water ingress.

I expect you will get your money`s worth, as it probably not going to be easy. Think about where you would like your new master socket, prior to the visit.