cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Phone line to my property being caught in highways tree. Openreach don't want to know

Go to solution

Between my property and the telegraph pole the phone line runs over public highway verge where a trees branches are pulling down on the phone line as its been growing over the last few years. The tree is on the highway verge so not on my property and is maintained by the county council. The lines is really starting to bend a lot and during high winds the branches are swaying around flexing the line even more. 

I've raised calls and pestered the county council, where they said they would survey and get back to me about what they would do but haven't heard or done anything. I got frustrated so went through to Openreach as they maintain the phone network. After talking to them they said I had to contact the council (again). I thought it would be their responsibility as it is their equipment not on private land that could if worse case cause the line to fail and be a public danger as well as potential damage to private property. When did I become the sole person responsible for their equipment?!

Due to COVID I'm having to work from home and fully reliant on my internet connection now. I cannot be left without a phone line for days while Openreach and the county council get around to sorting it out.

So yet another call to the council has been raised, but again I haven't heard anything back. By the way this has been going on since November when I raised it with the county council.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone line to my property being caught in highways tree. Openreach don't want to know

Go to solution

Openreach wouldn’t normally be able to do anything like get permission to get the tree cut back unless your line was faulty.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: Phone line to my property being caught in highways tree. Openreach don't want to know

Go to solution
Thanks Starwire, just having a moan as its such a simple job and its been going on for so long. Tempted to get the ladders and saw out in the middle of the night (kidding).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Good news (I hope) today. Finally the tree has been surveyed and work scheduled in sometime in the forthcoming weeks. Fingers crossed. I'll put the ladder and saw away!
0 Ratings