cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Phone lines across my property

My neighbour runs a business from home that has meant that he has had additional phone lines installed. We are on the 5th line now and more will probably go in.

At what point will BT stop installing these lines?

And at what point can I get the number of lines installed halted?

The lines cut across our windows and are really detracting from the view.

Thanks Sam
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Phone lines across my property

Not too sure if there is anything you can do.

Did the Openreach engineers trespass on your property when these lines were installed. If so you then might have had a case.

Some legal beaver might have an opinion on this.

Do you think he might not be following this: https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

According to the Openreach FAQ http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/wayleaves/wayleavesfaqs/wayleavesfaqs.do (see item 10) they may be allowed to run cables above your property without a wayleave.

If that does not apply, then they should have obtained a wayleave from you.  You would need to take it up with Openreach (not the retail side of BT).

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

I'm not a legal beaver but as he is running a business in a residential area you could complain to the council about the restriction in your enjoyment of your residential property. You could ask your neighbour if he is intending to add more lines and also point out the existing obstruction of your view.

With regard to Ectophiles link it would be interesting to know what "and that they do not interfere with the normal business on the property." means - is normal business in your case the enjoyment of the view as it is a residential property ,if so then you can take it up with Openreach. Bear in mind that you will end up upsetting your neighbour as presumably you may want the wires removed ( if you don't sign a wayleave consent if indeed it is applicable).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

If you think that's bad, you want to see what happened when my neighbour started working from home.

Spoiler
IndiaTelecom.jpg

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@pottyperson wrote:

If you think that's bad, you want to see what happened when my neighbour started working from home.

Spoiler
IndiaTelecom.jpg

Can you give me his number, I have a rewiring job needs doing, cash in handSmiley LOL

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

How many phone numbers does he have to require 5 drop wires?

A Drop Wire 15 has 4 pairs, I would have thought they would have put them up instead of individual pair drop wires.

In reference to your predicament, you would need to familiarise yourself with the low flying wires act.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@Helios wrote:
How many phone numbers does he have to require 5 drop wires?

A Drop Wire 15 has 4 pairs, I would have thought they would have put them up instead of individual pair drop wires.

In reference to your predicament, you would need to familiarise yourself with the low flying wires act.

I think that would be schedule 2 of the Telecommunications Act 1984, as amended by the Communications Act 2003.

I don't think spoiling the view counts as:-

(b) any line which by reason of its position interferes with the
carrying on of any business (within the meaning of section 6
of this Act) carried on on that land.

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Sorry, its been a while, its the Electronic Communications Code, Power to Fly Lines.

If an unsupported line pass over a neighbours property it must be at least 3m from the ground and 2m from the property itself.

5 drop wires is a joke though, if he needs that many lines really he should pay for the installation of a 10 or 20 pair UG or Aerial Cable.
0 Ratings
k3hys2377
Message 10 of 12

Hi, Ive just seen your post, I have a major cable that joins two posts that runs ove my proerpty, I am about to buld a 2 story side extension but this cable is in the way!! this cable is more then 3m from the ground but is just under 2m from the corner of my house... could get openreach to move this foc?

0 Ratings