cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rayjive
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Phone only rings twice

My phone line has developed a fault whereby the phone only rings twice then stops.  To the person calling it sounds like the phone has been picked up but no one answers.  It's not a faulty phone, I've tried 3, all the same.  The line does work, I can phone out, and BT have checked it and said it's OK.  I have removed the bottom face plate from the BT master socket, latest type fitted only 3 months ago, and using the test socket everything works fine, incoming calls ring untill you pick up.  Presumably the BT master socket has developed a fault?  Can I replace this myself (there are 2 extensions connected to it), preferably just the face plate as I don't want to interfere with the BT wiring behind it or could the fault lie elsewhere?  Thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone only rings twice

If its OK at the test socket, are there any wires connected to the front plate, as these can be causing the problem... The easiest way to prove what's causing the fault is to unplug everything.... Then using your mobile ring your house phone and see if mobile stops ringing after 2 rings... If OK start plugging in one item at a time ( filters on there own ) and each time ring your home number... When fault re-occurs the last thing u plugged in is probably causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rayjive
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes there are wires connected to the front plate and I assume these are the wires for the other 2 sockets in the house.  With everything unplugged other than a phone plugged into the master, the phone rings twice only and the same happens at the other 2 sockets if I plug a phone in to them.  When I remove the face plate from the master and plug into the test socket it functions correctly which is why I think the problem must be something to do with the master socket face plate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Removing the faceplate, disconnects the other two sockets, so the problem is within your house, probably a fault on one of the other sockets or wiring.

There are no extra bits on the faceplate itself. Try disconnecting the wires to the other sockets, then replace the faceplate and see if it works.

If it does, then you will have to investigate your internal wiring, perhaps its damaged somewhere, or you have something else plugged into one of the other sockets.

You can reconnect the wires using a cheap IDC insertion tool which you can get from many DIY stores.

0 Ratings