cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuartCane
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Phone rining once then stops

For the last few days we only get one ring on for incoming calls and then it stops.  If you answer it quickly it connects fine, otherwise it hangs up.  Master socket is an FTTC one but also have a copper work line (working fine).  Outgoing calls are fine.

What I've tried:

• Run a line test via bt.com - no problems found
  • Disconnected everything (work phone on other line, Hub 5, corded phone, old ADSL filter left in upstairs and cordless phone)
  • Tested with corded phone and cordless phone only connected to master socket (BT Infinity MK2) - same problem with both so it doesn't appear to be a fault with phone or hub
  • Connected corded phone to test socket - WORKS FINE

Any ideas where problem might be and how to fix it (ideally without a  £129 call out but accept it might come to that)?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Phone rining once then stops

Just for clarity, are you saying that you have a fibre to the premises (FTTP)  line with FVA , fibre voice access , and this  has the ring trip problem,and you also have a regular (copper pair) line that's ok ?

if that's the case, the normal checks are probably no help, and I would think you need the support  of whatever company you pay line rental too for the FTTP 'line', presumably BT as you are posting here

0 Ratings
StuartCane
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, my typo (and a fairly vital one!)  FTTC not P!

0 Ratings
StuartCane
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Edited original post to correct it

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

on unplugging the front plate of the main socket with the test point in side did you notice any wires attached to this front plate?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

If the problem line works fine in the test socket, but ring trips when the socket is  reassembled then that would normally indicate a problem on the detachable panel itself or any wiring or sockets connected to that panel....it sounds as if you have a filtered panel, this normally means you don't need filters in any other sockets connected to the panel, but unlike a standard NTE5 consumer panel that doesn't gave any electronics in it, filtered ones do, and that could be where the problem is, you can get filtered panels easily., you could even ask your ISP to provide a replacement  one

its a grey area who is responsible for the NTE5 panel, the consumer or Openreach, but it's hardly worth arguing over it as they are only a few £'s 

0 Ratings
StuartCane
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I think there were blue and white wires connected and an orange one that appeared to be unconnected.  Are the front panels easy to replace?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

The wiring connected to the removable  panel should run to  an extension socket (s) , only 2 wires needed on terminal  2 and 5, pre broadband a third wire could be connected called the 'bell wire', but isn't needed and actually degrades ADSL, so you would disconnect this third wire to  optimise your broadband speed if it were still connected.

you can get filtered or non filtered face plates on places like Ebay, Amazon etc, for a few ££'s, but I've seen posts where the ISP has sent out panels for free, if you call and say your  broadband isn't  working, or working poorly

if you don't use any extension sockets, you can remove the blue and white wires, and try reassemble the socket , if it starts working ok, it would prove the fault was on the cable or the extension socket  the disconnected cable went to.

A common problem is extension wiring run under carpets near gripper rods , the gripper rod punctures the cable and puts a fault on, quite often it's 'ring trip'

TBH a damaged cable connected to the panel is more likely to be the problem than the panel itself, but the a filtered panel does have components, that could fail