cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Phone service cut off!

Hi,

In April 2020 I purchased a broadband package from Virgin (I no longer wanted BT broadband) and specified to them that my phone service (landline) would remain with BT. The new broadband set up went ahead around the 17th  May without too many glitches. However, to my horror I realised at the weekend that BT have cancelled my landline service!!!!  When I was trying to call family on their landline last week, the calls wouldn't connect so I just assumed the problem was with their  line  etc.

I contacted BT and the advisor said that my "phone service moved to Virgin as well" which is totally untrue. I then contacted Virgin who confirmed that I had not requested a phone service from Virgin whatsoever.

I am appalled that this has happened and during the most stressful of times ( Coronavirus). I have aged relatives who call me regularly when in need and they have not been able to. 

Even after switching to Virgin broadband, I've not had any acknowledgement whatsoever from BT such as a " We are sorry to see you go" via letter or email.

I would appreciate any advice.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone service cut off!

when Virgin contacted BT for the switch then that would automatically terminate your BT package which included line rental  you would then have to set up a landline contract with BT which from your post you never did and just assumed your landline would continue.

if you want a landline from BT then you need to phone sales.  Once your line is active and if you want to maintain your number post back and see if forum can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

If you had a bundle of services with BT, telephony and broadband , but only wanted the broadband removing ( keeping the telephony ) then it suggests your instructions were incorrect , or they were correct and BT misinterpreted them.
So, did you approach BT yourself, and the VM service was in effect totally separate, in fact could have been ordered without even mentioning to VM that you currently had an existing service from someone else, or did you approach VM and they dealt with giving BT your instructions ?
If you dealt with BT yourself, and you were deleting one part of a bundle , I would (in your shoes) expect to be advised what my new monthly cost were to be ( so for example if I paid £30 for LR and BB, then telephony on its own should be cheaper, otherwise why not just keep the bundle ) so were  you advised of the new lower monthly cost, and if you were not advised of this, did it not strike you as odd that you didn’t know what your ongoing monthly cost was going to be ?, a change of this nature would normally come with a new agreement and the associated ‘paperwork’, did you get a new T&C’s by post or email ?

At the moment it’s impossible to apportion ‘blame’, most customers that move from BT to VM , or vice versa , would move everything , generally it makes financial sense, after all , phone and broadband from one provider is cheaper than broadband from one and telephony from another , so in the absence of explicit instruction to the contrary, that’s what would happen, perhaps you could detail who said what to whom

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi @bead1969 ,

Were you in, or out of, contract with BT ?

0 Ratings