cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Pointless calls

On my landline I use a Bt digital phone incorporating an answering system, and I also subscribe to the BT Call Protect Service. On several occasions recently I have come home to find “missed calls” on my display. When I interrogate the system I discover the same 0800 number in many instances, but no messages. When I rang the number I got a recorded message “BT tried to call you but there is nothing to worry about. If you want to speak to someone call the following number “ I’m left wondering:

1) is this scam?

2) if it’s legitimate, what’s the purpose for the call and why don’t BT leave a message.

any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Pointless calls

If the calling number is identified as 0800 800 150 then it's genuine, ignore any other numbers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

@bayardmmwrote:

On my landline I use a Bt digital phone incorporating an answering system, and I also subscribe to the BT Call Protect Service. On several occasions recently I have come home to find “missed calls” on my display. When I interrogate the system I discover the same 0800 number in many instances, but no messages. When I rang the number I got a recorded message “BT tried to call you but there is nothing to worry about. If you want to speak to someone call the following number “ I’m left wondering:

1) is this scam?

2) if it’s legitimate, what’s the purpose for the call and why don’t BT leave a message.

any useful suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like a (phishing) scam to me otherwise why would the caller not leave their name or, as you say, no clue as to the purpose of the call.  Certainly don't imagine the 0800 number in your missed calls directory is genuine - it could very easily have been be spoofed via the internet to look like a bona fide BT call.  I would recommend reporting the number quoted in the recorded message via this link  and see what reaction follows - just to be on the safe side.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

The calling number will not be 0800 800 150. That is the main inbound number to contact BT. There are couple of numbers that BT utilise for calls made to their customers. I think one of the numbers is an 0800 number and ends in 585. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

@Devon_Davewrote:

The calling number will not be 0800 800 150. That is the main inbound number to contact BT. There are couple of numbers that BT utilise for calls made to their customers. I think one of the numbers is an 0800 number and ends in 585. 

Even if you knew what those "couple of number" are you cannot rely on caller display or missed call registers showing you the actual number of the caller. Such is the nature of the current world of telephony where people who know what they're doing can show you any sender number they like and you have no way of knowing whether its genuine or not until you have become another one of their victims.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Calling the number back (prefaced with 141 to avoid revealing your number) might help to establish whether the source really is BT. If you prefer not to do that, checking the number on the WhoCallsMe website might give some clues. On the other hand, simply ignoring it won't  do any harm.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

@bayardmm, whats the full 0800 number that's calling?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

0800 335 7000

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 12

@bayardmm,

Have you spoken to BT about an issue of any sort ?  If you have, then they may well have tried contacting you.  I had numerous calls like that but they never leave a message as the number they ring from does not accept incoming calls.  In my case they just kept trying until I answered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Hi @bayardmm, thanks for confirming the number, that was a genuine call from our marketing department. 

0 Ratings