Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlaT1000
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Poor Sync speed/disconnections/noise on phone line

Hi,

Any help would be great at this point I think I've tried everything possible 😞

I have my router connected directly to the BT master socket and for over 2 weeks have been suffering poor sync speeds/ random disconnections. I have a cordless phone and using the 17070 Op2 quiet line test I can hear some noise on the phone line.

I have the new style BT Openreach master socket. I have tried using an Iplate, the original face plate and A adsl filter connected direct into the test point. All give the same results.

My sync speed is 1.5-3.1 down and 0.1 - 1.0 Mbps up depending on how bad the line is at that time. When it's working fine it normally syncs at 3.0 Mbps down 0.9 Mbps up. I have spoken to my ISP (TALKTALK) they said after going through their usual test procedure that there is a fault on your line. I have spoken to BT (who i pay for my telephone bill to) and they said they have carried out tests on my line and think the fault is in my internal wiring ? I have told them the only thing i have connected to the master socket is the ROUTER nothing else. I rarely use my landline and it's normally disconnected/not switched on.

I have booked an Engineer to call on Wed >3pm hopefully he will be able to sort this issue out and I can go back to normal service.

Has anyone got anything else i can try prior to the Engineers arrival

Any help getting finding a solution will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jon (WISH I HAD INFINITY) 😞

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Poor Sync speed/disconnections/noise on phone line

This is a forum for customers of BT Retail our ISP.  you should post your problems on the TT forum and see if there is help there.  

I would suggest conencting to the test socket with a new filter and see if line stays stable.  if you have line noise then you need to get that fixed before your broadband will improve.  if you have extension sockets in other rooms then I would remove the bellwire from terminal 3 in the master and all other sockets 

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
FlaT1000
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for a speedy reply 🙂

The bellwire has already been disconnected from the master socket there is only the A & B (solid blue and solid white) wires connected in the master socket. I can see through the master socket back plate there are a lot of (SPARE) wires in the master socket but currently aren't connected. I don't have any extensions throughout my house and connect my router directly to the master socket. Then my PC which is wired via a Cat5 cable.

If I am still getting a poor sync speed would this indicate a fault either with the master socket itself or the line going out of my house?

Strangely enough the sync speed seems to effect the Upstream bandwidth more than the downstream. Is there a reason for this and does this shed any light on what the fault could be?

I realise it's a bit of an odd thing to have a seperate BB supplier as it would work out a lot cheaper simply going with BT for everything. and I am going to swap to BT infinity as soon as BT wholesale finish their work in the fibre optic box (I've been eagerly waiting for 2 years).

If i understand correctly I am not to remove the master socket as this belongs to BT which is fair enough but a BT customer adviser said that if the fault lies within the property I would have to pay £129 for the repair? If this is the case could I not ask the BT engineer to replace the incoming line to remove this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

If you do not have extension sockets then is no need for an iplate

i would still try the test socket with a new filter and see if that helps.  I would also try quiet line test and if any noise report it.  Getting rid of line noise will improve your broadband. By using the test socket you eliminate the faceplate just in case it is causing a problem - unlikely but it does happen

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
FlaT1000
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks again for a speedy reply.

I have spent over £100 on various things from Iplates,filters and new cables. Non have made any difference to my sync in speed.

If I try and reset the router it can take > 10 mins to sync in which i would say suggests line quality?

I have it connected to the test socket via an ADSL filter which is one of BT's recommended types.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Did you try quiet line test? Was there noise? If so you need to report a phone fault

0 Ratings
FlaT1000
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Hi and thanks for another reply 🙂

I have carried out several quiet line tests and 90% of the time i find there is noise on my line. I have reported this to BT (they have heard the noise) and they are sending an engineer out on Wed 23rd. I was a little angry as I had spoke to them on the 16th and to my knowlege booked an engineer for Mon 21st  but after ringing them again today i found out they'd CLOSED my case. I wasn't very happy to say the least.

Is there a forum section where I could check the progress of the fibre cabinet which was fitted next to my local box? It's been fitted there for over 6 perhaps 12 months now but fibre keeps on being put back for some reason :(.

Thanks again for any assistance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

There is no place where you can check your cabinet status apart from the standard https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

The cause of delay could be same as mine in that there are blocked ducts which stops the fibre installation until cleared which can take months
Bearing in mind this is Easter weekend I am not surprised your appointment was cancelled

0 Ratings
FlaT1000
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Yeah tbh i was shocked they originally agreed to come out over easter weekend Smiley Surprised

Sorry to hear you havent got fibre either. As having 3 meg/1 meg is like the dark ages by todays standards. My brother doesn't help who keeps sending me speed tests showing his Fibre at >100meg down 10meg up :(. He lives in a cabled area

I understand they can have various problems with power piping etc.

Thanks for your replies..

I did post on my current BB supplier and NOT one person even a member of the public has replied.. Just proof I should switch tbh..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

I moved your thread to phones board as it is a phone line noise problem and you are a BT phone customer but use TT for your broadband

0 Ratings