Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dudljo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Poor quality line - hard-of-hearing user

Hello

My elderly mother is extremely hard of hearing, but has benefitted from amplified handsets so that her family can contact her regularly.

However, the quality of her phone-line seems to be deterioating rapidly  -  the line constantly sounds muffled and has a background 'hiss'.    If you use the amplifier on the phone,  it just amplifies the hiss - it doesn't make the line quality any better.

BT have checked the line, engineers have been out and said that the line is okay,   but for someone with her hearing difficulties its next to impossible for her to hear people clearly,  no matter how we amplify.

Is there a way to get the line quality improved, considering this is the only way she can communicate with her family?   She's 90.

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Poor quality line - hard-of-hearing user

Hi @dudljo and welcome.

I'm sorry your mum is having problems with the line. Are you able to try a quiet line test on her line? Can you try connecting a phone, without the amplifier, to the test socket behind the master face plate and dial 17070 option 2. If there is any noise on the line you'll need to report it to 151. can you let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Does she by chance have broadband?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
dudljo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi

No, she doesn't have broadband.  Just a standard phone-only package

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

It could be a fault on the exchange line card.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
dudljo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi David

I've tried the amplified phone in the test-socket behind the master face-plate, and that made no difference  - when trying test-calls to 1471 etc..     

I haven't tried connecting a phone (without the amplifier) to that socket and doing calls to 17070 etc...

I will do that, and let you know how I get on   (it may be a while before I reply as I don't live local to her)

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Hi @dudljo,

Thank you for posting back. We really do need to make sure the issue isn't with the amplifier or her home set up. Connecting the a phone to the test socket without the amplifier and dialing the quite line test will help to rule those out.

When you ring the 17070 the line should be silent. If there is any noise, please post back as there is likely a line fault and I'll be able to get this investigated.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
dudljo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Thanks PaddyB

The phone she has is this one :-

Doro Magna 4000 Extra Loud Phone

Basically, it has a volume control, plus a button to press to amplify the sound even further.

I'll try the test with a standard phone,  and this one too without amplification 

0 Ratings
dudljo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Hi

Apologies for the delay on this.

I did a quiet-line test ( 17070 ) with a standard phone,  and there's a constant background "shhhhhhh" sound on the line.   Best way I can describe it - not a hiss, not a buzz,  but a "sshhhhhhh" noise.  

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

That to me sounds like the broadband signal that is superimposed onto a telephone line.
If you have a spare broadband filter kicking about try plugging the phone into it and check what you get.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings