Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deathblades
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Porting Landline Number from Plusnet

Go to solution

Good Morning,

New to the forms just trying to work out the best way to use them. Im sorry if this isnt in the correct section. Here is my issue:

I have recently placed an order with BT. When creating my order I asked BT to install a new phone line. When requesting this I was told that I would have to inform my provider that I was leaving as they obviously wont need to do a line take over when they are going to install a new one. 

A couple of hours after placing the order Plusnet sent me an email saying they had been informed BT were attempting to take over the line and told me when the completion date was. 

I have already asked an advisor about if I can get my landline number ported over with me even though its going onto a new line. So far they haven't been able to answer me. Do any of you know how I can get this arranged? Any Mods availble to have a look for me? 

Kindest Regards,

Deathblades

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Porting Landline Number from Plusnet

Go to solution

Sorry, why do you want/need a new phone line when you already have an existing 1 with PN which you want to port to BT?

Are you intending to migrate your BB from PN to BT as well?

If that's the case why don't you just apply for BB (incl. landline) from BT & let them take care of everything?

Deathblades
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Because In having a new master socket installed in a different side of the property. Currently the old one isn't in a great location which makes it difficult to get the LAN cables where I need it
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
Your particular circumstances may cause difficulty in getting what you want , a 'new' line provided in a different part of the house, but with the number you already have on an existing line, with a different provider. If the Plusnet number is really a BT number ( in other words Plusnet may be billing you for the line/number but it's a WLR type line provided by BT Wholesale) then when the Plusnet account is ceased the number would go back to BT anyway , if it's a Plusnet LLU number , then the number won't go back to BT because they are not the number range holder....did you have the number with BT before Plusnet ? It may be possible to get any old number with BT on the new line, then when the Plusnet line is 'ceased" renumber the BT number you don't want to the ex Plusnet number you do want, but only if it's really a BT number in the first place, and there may well be a delay in getting that number back, even if it's possible. It may have been better to pay to get the line moved within the property , by getting Plusnet to arrange it, then migrating to BT, or migrating to BT , then getting BT to arrange the shift, doing it the way you have may not work out well.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@iniltous: PN don't do LLU. Their landlines are all BTw WLR.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks XRaySpeX, I was unsure with Plusnet as they quote lower prices in some 'our network' areas, and although now part of BT , thought it possible they may still have legacy kit from before the BT era....probably their 'own' SMPF kit, and as you say, not LLU MPF
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

There is still  legacy kit installed in some areas, but it does not show up anywhere on the various checking sites. They are the lower priced options quoted.

The initial cost of installing this type of equipment, stopped many of the service providers proceeding, also some exchanges did not have any spare space to put the kit.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
Why don't you just migrate your BB + phone from PN to BT and ask them to move the master socket while they do so even if you have to pay.
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe: There's a page on PN site stating:

Our broadband is supplied over the BT Wholesale network. 
The products on offer are split into two categories:
20th Century Network (20CN) Available in most UK exchanges. 'IPStream Connect' (IPSC)
technology is used to provide speeds up to a theoretical maximum of
8Mb via ADSL1 •21st Century Network (21CN) Available in a growing number of UK exchanges, 'Wholesale Broadband
Connect' (WBC)

technology is used to provide: ◦Speeds up to a theoretical maximum of
8Mb via ADSL1 ◦Speeds up to a theoretical maximum of 24Mb via ADSL2+ ◦Speeds up to a theoretical maximum of 80Mb via Fibre to the Cabinet
(FTTC) Note: We often refer to our ADSL1/2+ products as 'Standard broadband'
to help differentiate them from FTTC products.
PN themselves should know!

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

They are the lower priced options quoted. 

PN's low cost areas are not due to them having LLU, but are defined by PN as Market B exchanges only. See What is a low cost area? .

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX

It was  24Mbs  ADSL2+ equipment that I saw being installed. This was connected directly to line, and gave a faster connection than was available from the BT DSLAM equipment.

It was a stand alone rack, connected with a single optical fibre link and was installed and maintained by a third party contractor, but had a Plusnet label at the top of the rack.

It was about the time when companies were first allowed to install their equipment in the exchange. There was a bit of a rush to find space, from what I remember.

This was before MSANS were installed in the larger exchanges.

This news item may relate to this, as its about that time.

http://usergroup.plus.net/news_tiscalillu.php

"Speeds up to 8Mb will be available within Tiscali's LLU service areas using ADSL and speeds of up to 24Mb will be possible in areas where Tiscali is using ADSL2+ technology. "

In effect, they were using Tiscali`s racks.

It was some time ago now, but I do still remember it.

0 Ratings