Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Porting Vonage to BT

Hi

Just had new BT line installed today after FTTP last week.  We have had BT in the past but moved to wireless broadband provider in the past with VOIP using Vonage, and ported our original number to Vonage.

Would like to port it back, and just want to check that the process is the still the same as I have gathered from searching for Vonage.

I understand I need to tell Vonage to cancel the service and then 14 days later speak to BT to get them to request the number back from Vonage and for them to renumber.

Am concerned though as this appears to be at odds to what Vonage say, which is that "your Vonage Service must remain active until the number port is completed."

'If you wish to port your number away from Vonage your Vonage Service must remain active until the number port is completed. You will lose your number if you terminate your Vonage Service before the port is completed.'

Thanks

James

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Porting Vonage to BT

There may be anomalies with VOIP, but normally advising your old provider is a bad idea,  as them ceasing the service means the port order fails, so usually best left to the gaining provider.

If done ‘wrong’ , then the number would eventually return to the number range holder ( BT) anyway , but it may take longer to get it allocated .
Is your phone service to be delivered over the copper pair or over the FTTP ?, if FTTP then it may not be possible to get the number using the normal channels, using the copper pair and the local exchange shouldn’t be a problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@JCTucker 

Are you still living at the same address as you were, when BT first gave you your number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Yes still at the same address
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Our phone service is using the copper pair (reconnecting the existing wire).

Just spoke to BT and they said to cancel the service and then speak to them again in two weeks time, but I don't think they are doing anything proactively to port the number and relying on the number reverting back to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@JCTucker wrote:

Then provided that your phone service is still being delivered over a copper pair, there should be no problems, once Vonage have released the number back to BT. BT cannot do anything until the number is back with them.

Meanwhile, you will have to accept a temporary number, as that is needed to provide service.

You will have to request a re-number, as it will not happen automatically

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@JCTuckerwrote:

Then provided that your phone service is still being delivered over a copper pair, there should be no problems, once Vonage have released the number back to BT. BT cannot do anything until the number is back with them.

Meanwhile, you will have to accept a temporary number, as that is needed to provide service.

You will have to request a re-number, as it will not happen automatically

Thanks, so okay to cancel then and then speak to BT in two weeks time?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Yes, you should be fine to cancel. Once your Vonage service has been ceased, the number should become a spare on the local BT exchange. You can test this yourself by ringing it to see if you get a number not recognised message. That would indicate that the number intercept has been removed on the OLO (Other Licenced Operator) /BT interface.

This may take a couple of weeks, as you have been told, and there is likely to be a small charge for the re-number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Yes, you should be fine to cancel. Once your Vonage service has been ceased, the number should become a spare on the local BT exchange. You can test this yourself by ringing it to see if you get a number not recognised message. That would indicate that the number intercept has been removed on the OLO (Other Licenced Operator) /BT interface.

This may take a couple of weeks, as you have been told, and there is likely to be a small charge for the re-number.

Great, thanks so much for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Unfortunately I'm struggling to get this number back at the moment.  The recorded message that I hear when I dial my old number is the same from the day I terminated Vonage which suggests that they have not returned the number to BT and can't get any traction with them to release it.  BT cannot renumber as it shows as still in use at their end.

Not sure where to go now to get this moving?

0 Ratings