Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richh002
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Porting a VOIP number

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone can offer some help please. I’m trying to port a number from my existing VoIP provider to a new one without success. The number was originally a BT Broadband Talk Number (BBT) but was successfully ported to a 3rd party VoIP provider in February 2014.

I’m now trying to port it to a new VoIP provider, which should have happened today. The range holder is BT as the number was originally theirs. However today the BT porting desk have rejected the request with the following message to my gaining VoIP supplier:

This number is a Broadband Talk (BBT) number. This BBT platform closed in December
2016 and all customers were notified that the service would stop but they would be
given a divert on the number. They also made it clear that the number would not be
able to port away once the BBT platform closed.

Just to clarify, although it was originally a BBT number, it has been in use by me via a non BT VoIP provider since Feb 2014 and therefore not on the BBT platform.

My gaining supplier say that BT have advised that the number cannot be ported and will not budge. I can’t find anyway in to the BT porting desk as I’m not a Wholesale Customer. I’m assuming that this is just an admin error on a system somewhere but don’t know where to go now for help.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Richard

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Porting a VOIP number

Welcome to this user forum.

I think you are going to be out of luck, as it was only done as a incoming network divert from the virtual BBT number, as a favour, as a one off, to allow people time to make other arrangements, like changing their phone number.

The people who managed the BBT platform would have moved to other departments by now

Outgoing VOIP calls would have the CLI added by your VOIP provider.

The old BBT numbers never existed as real numbers terminating on an exchange, they are similar to the virtual numbers used by BT SmartTalk.

Nobody on this BT Retail forum is going to be able to help, so you will either have to stay with your current VOIP provider which is receiving the diverts, or change your phone number. Changing the number would be the best course of action, as there is no guarantee that the diverts will continue in future.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

As already stated chances are you will need to get a new number allocated by whatever VOIP provider you want to use , out of curiosity is this number the same STD code as 'regular' landline numbers for your town/city, or a non geographic number, I think you got a choice at the time with BTB ? Sometime ago , I remember seeing an article about Ofcom's concerns that the current method of number portability relies on the number range holder continuing to trade, and if the number range holder goes bust , or in your case relinquishes the 'right' to hold those particular numbers, then the end user may end up having no option but to accept a new number from a new provider, if a company goes bust it a the number disappearing is a 'fait accompli' but would appear that Telco's can give up niche number ranges without ceasing to trade completely.
0 Ratings
Richh002
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Hi Keith

Thanks for your prompt response and advise.

Problem is the number is used as my main business number which has been in use  for 9 years.

It is frustrating that BT never advised me of the situation when I applied to port the number in 2014 and subsequently allowed what appears to be a normal port to a 3rd party VoIP supplier as opposed to a virtual divert as you suggest.

From what you are saying, either BT were not on the ball, or my current provider led me to believe the number had completely ported as normal as opposed to just being diverted. Additionally I was not advised regarding the BBT platform closing in Dec 16. 

My understaning with the 21CN network etc is that it is a cloud based IP service, and new number ranges are being made available to suppliers, so I’m struggling to understand how any number can’t be ported and would need to be assigned to the ‘dormant number’ pile. 

Very frustrating, do you know any ways in to the porting desk for end users so I can clarify the situation as a number change for a business is not to be undertaken lightly.

Regards

Richard

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

0 Ratings
Richh002
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Hi

Not sure I understand. The number is a geographic number with my local STD code. The rangeholder was and still is BT. So no company involved in any of the previous or current porting requests has ceased to trade and as BT is still the rangeholder I don’t understand how they may have relinquished the right to hold the number? I just can’t understand how some numbers cannot be ported on the current IP networks that are in use thes days.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Back in the day I had a BT broadband talk number , but it was non geographic, I cannot remember exactly but it was something like 0945, 0875 or something like that, as apposed to 0161, or 01325 , or that type of PSTN STD code, but the option was available to have a broadband talk number that was the same STD code for the town, but wasn't part of the regular BT POTS number ranges ( in other words it wasn't part of a particular local exchange number range but looked similar to other numbers for the same town , so for Darlington it would have been a 01325 number. If you use the Ofcom site to identify who the number range holder is for the particular number in question, what does it show ? If the number you ported wasn't a regular plain old telephony system number , aligned to a local BT exchange , but a number that never really had a physical appearance on a BT local exchange, then I assume, given what you gave been told by your chosen VOIP provider, that BT have no obligation to keep a non PSTN number range active if they don't want to...and if that's the case , it would appear presumably have no obligation to keep the number active so that it can be ported between VOIP providers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@Richh002 wrote:

Hi Keith

Thanks for your prompt response and advise.

Problem is the number is used as my main business number which has been in use  for 9 years.

Regards

Richard

Broadband Talk was only intended for residential usage, as it was part of the BT Residential service not the BT Business service.

BT Business already have a VOIP service which has been available for a long time, and is intended for business usage.

I do know that some people did use it for business, which was against the T&Cs, which is why, when the service closed, BT provided a temporary divert of incoming calls, on the understanding that people would make arrangements to change their number.

They did not have to do this, as there was plenty of notice about the closure of BBT, as the service was withdrawn from sale in 2011.

As this was over six years ago now, it should have been plenty of time for people to do that. As BT own those geographic numbers, there is going to be a time when they will want them back, for use on other new services.

You would probably stand a better chance you were a BT Business customer, as they should be able to migrate your BT owned number onto their Cloud based service https://business.bt.com/products/business-phone-systems/voip/

That would be a permanent long term solution, so it would be worth talking to BT Business about it, if the number is important.

There are quite a number of old threads about the BBT service https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=broadband+talk&collapse_discussion=true#

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Richh002 and thanks for posting.

As @john46 and @Keith_Beddoe have confirmed the broadband talk service was ceased some time ago. If you’re using it for business purposes your best bet would be to contact the business cloud voice service team on 0800 389 0537 who may be able to help but to be honest there might not be a lot that can be done in this case.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Richh002
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi All

Thankyou again for all your comments and suggestions.

Ive been in discussion with my Loosing Supplier this morning. They have confirmed with their supplier that the number shows up on all their back end systems as being owned by me and that the routing appears to confirm that the number is on their platform as opposed to being a divert from the BT network.

Both the loosing and gaining suppliers are also talking about Offcom rules and number portability, and confirm the number appears in the 'list' of numbers available to be ported.

Their supplier is continuing discussions with BT Wholesale today.

So, point taken regarding loosing the number, but there does still appear to be some confusion on the actual status of the number.

Richard

0 Ratings