cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sheleemk
Message 1 of 4

Porting a deactivated phone number

I have just moved my BT landline service to a new address, and taken on a new landline number. The old landline cannot be ported because the two addresses are connected to different exchanges, so I'm trying to port the old landline number to a virtual landline. However because the old number is now deactivated, I'm running into difficulty. Is there any way the old number can be reactivated for a short period so that the port can be carried out?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Porting a deactivated phone number

@sheleemk 

That would not be possible, as once its been ceased, it becomes a stopped line. You would have needed to try to do it before you moved, but even then, as the number was owned by BT, it may not have been possible.

BT can arrange for a changed number announcement to be put on your old number, its free for the first month.

0 Ratings
sheleemk
Message 3 of 4

Ok, thanks for your reply. I did actually try before I moved, however I was told by Openreach that I specifically had to wait until the line had been stopped, otherwise my BT services would get cancelled mid-contract (instead of just moved).

Regarding the changed number announcement - I did try to get that added today, but again they told me it's not possible now as I should have requested it as part of the move. Do you know if that's not the case? If so then I will ask again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

I am not sure about the changed number announcement, as that would normally be arranged as part of the home move process, when you would have been told that you were going to get a new number,

Now that the network routing has been ceased, that may not be possible.

0 Ratings