cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluethunder
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Positioning of master socket

Im about to move into a bungalow without a BT compatible phone line and my question is will the engineer put the master socket in the room I want it in or the one thats easiest for him? 

And also will it be a NTE5.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
cotswoldconnection
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Positioning of master socket

Hi Bluethunder
As far as I am aware the engineer should put the socket in the room you want and it will be an nte5.
0 Ratings
bfg
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Hi Bluethunder,

I think Openreach work to a 3 metre rule now and will only instal the NTE5 within 3ms of the 'lead in' (where the cable comes to the property).

if this is a new line completely, i would check where the BT network is (should see telegraph poles in your street) and the nearest pole will be where the new cable is connected, this will give you an idea where the 3 metre rulle will aplpy in your sitauation.

The socket should be an NTE5 for a new install, but as always, it really depends on what the engineer has in his van (most carry the NTE2000 now, which is basically a NTE5 with a ADSL filtered faceplate).

Simple answer, it will be whats easiest for the engineer and the socket will be an NTE5 but may have a different faceplate

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

NTE5a's come as standard with the normal face plate from stores, the NTE2000 face plate is ordered seperately and is never fitted as standard.

0 Ratings
cotswoldconnection
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Hi bfg

I think the 3m rule has been scrapped now.
0 Ratings
JBE
Message 6 of 13

Hello...been a BT customer for years but that is now under serious reconsideration.

Trying to get an appointment for an engineer to move a master socket from the kitchen to the room next door....easy peasy I thought.

Three attempts later & still not achieved an appointment, the experience has been unbelievable and my sense of the total incompetance of BT is now total.

BUT I have left totally negative comments & scores for each of those three attempts when I've been 'randomly selected' for the service survey.....wonder if it will make any difference ?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If you have tried many times, then try here.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days.

0 Ratings
JBE
Message 8 of 13

Keith,
Thank you & I've sent a message......
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@JBE wrote:
Keith,
Thank you & I've sent a message......

They will only deal when everything else has failed, like in your case. It going to cost you £130 for the visit anyway.

0 Ratings
JBE
Message 10 of 13

Told that it will be £130 for engineer + £75 for new socket.....hhmmm
0 Ratings