cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 111 of 726

Re: BT Online Chat - Indian Call Centre Leak?

I agree with NichRH1, according to reports on this forum, there seems to be a clear link between contacting 151 and getting these calls, which indicates they are not random, so a serious breach of security must have occured!

Only this morning I tried to renew my Line rental in advance, to be told I couldn't, as an existing order was still in progress! When I explained I hadn't made any orders recently, they cleared them. When I asked for details, I was told an order had been placed on 13 October, but hadn't processed through all the steps, so was still on the system. When I explained again that I hadn't originated the order, she said 'sorry, we'll investigate' - I don't hold out any hope they'll get to the bottom of it, so it isn't just about nuisance phone calls it seems, but could be something a lot more serious. MODERATORS TAKE NOTE

PS I have reported the phone call issue to both Action Fraud and BBC Watchdog, perhaps they'll make BT sit up and take notice

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 112 of 726

I never thought to report it to warptchdog. It's back on air now so I might just do that. Surely if enough of us contact Watchdog they may investigate.

good thing I won't record all the other issues I have since moving to BT. That would take a mini series

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 113 of 726

Bobbs,

I was hoping they'd mention it last night, as one of the topics was unwanted calls. Sadly, not a peep

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GavWillBee
Beginner
Message 114 of 726

Re: Possible Scam?

Over the last few days I have had calls from different voices (all sound Indian) claiming to be from BT and that I have a problem with my PC or Broadband.  (I tell them to get real jobs). They give me my BT account number and claim that my service will cease the next day.  I have also been given what they claim is their address -22 Elm St London.

In the past I have reported the account number issue to BT who informs me that it does not matter.

It is all very annoying.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 115 of 726

@GavWillBee wrote:

Over the last few days I have had calls from different voices (all sound Indian) claiming to be from BT and that I have a problem with my PC or Broadband.  (I tell them to get real jobs). They give me my BT account number and claim that my service will cease the next day.  I have also been given what they claim is their address -22 Elm St London.

In the past I have reported the account number issue to BT who informs me that it does not matter.

It is all very annoying.

Call received today from a Chelmsford number, claiming to be BT Tech centre, although caller display showed it as international......until you looked into the details.

That's a giveaway!

Answered questions, mainly by saying "no there are no problems that you are seeing".

eventually I hung up. Number is now blocked.

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 116 of 726

I received yet another call from an Indian lady today, (From 08003289393 I later found out via 1471) saying she was from BT. Sadly, it has got to the point that when anyone calls me from BT with an Indian accent, I immediately think scam and hang up, genuine call or not ( I never give her the chance to explain why she was calling before I hung up, it has got so bad).

BT really has shot themselves in the foot over outsourcing customer support to India and the lack of security that has ensued

Time they bit the bullet, and pulled it all back to UK.

0 Ratings
Kanabardina1
Beginner
Message 117 of 726

Please do not give any personal details like card details as it is a scam and fraud was coned of nearly 200 and my son lost 700 in such calls
0 Ratings
sheilapb
Beginner
Message 118 of 726

Why do you suppose BT do not seem to be taking any notice of any of this? Perhaps the only thing to do is to leave BT en bloc. I often get calls in the same manner and always keep them hanging on the line then just cut off.

0 Ratings
blipit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 726

Few points:

1) Companies abroad have cheap access to dialling technology which means a small call centre can dial a very large number of numbers very quickly. Remember most numbers probably don't answer - think PPI spam, over and over!

2) Dialling from abroad makes it extremely hard to trace and prosecute - and expensive.

3) BT has thousands of faults (a small proportion of millions of lines) - so the chance you will be dialled after a fault by a scammer is statistically reasonably high. I bet other providers face the same issues.

Its very tempting to have a dig at a large company, especially if you are unhappy about the service for some reason, but that doesn't mean they are insecure or dishonest. I seem to remember at least one BBC documentary about credit card accounts and back account details being sold abroad abroad after being stolen here - quite likely they might get some billing accounts from there.

I work in security (Although not this particular area) and I can assure you the criminals can be extremely resourceful, technically very literate, and well funded. There are many ways they can get your information, but most of them rely on people posting their email addresses, personal information, and phone numbers in forums (hint hint) some of which I have seen in just a quick glance in this forum (!) Please take the advice offered, and take every precaution to validate callers and not give out any useful information.

A quick search, turns up sites like this one which seem useful: https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/

The whole point of the internet and phone numbers is to make you easy to contact, but treat every contact as suspicious. Don't get hung up on conspiracy theories.

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 120 of 726

Blipit,

Whilst  you make reasonable points, I totally disagree with point 3! We have two phone lines in our house and receive lots of scam/nuisance calls on both lines. But, the only one to receive BT scam calls is the one on which I recently reported a fault, in fact like most people on this site, within 2/3 days of reporting the fault. ergo it is not a statistical eventuality. There is a clear link between reporting a fault and receiving the BT scam call.

0 Ratings